Magazine Comparisons

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepg

In Runtime
I don't know how many of you read PC-related magazines, but I am a big fan of them. I feel that I get a lot of new information that I can't find anywhere else. Here is my question for the members, and also an observation.

I go to Barnes and Noble to get a lot of my magazines because of thier wide selection. I've found that most of the magazines published in England and printed ther are MUCH better than domestic mag's. They are also about 3 time the price. I tink the avereage price for an imported Tech mag is about $14.99 or so. Domestic's are about $5-7. I would much prefer to read a magazine from England as it is not 80% advertisements. They also seem to have better info in them and just all around better.

The domestic mags seem all MS oriented and all have the same advertisements. The importd mag's seem to have very limited amount of advertisements (this could be due to the fact people from the US aren't going to order products from England)

Anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone else even buys these import mags. The Linux ones are the best by far! Let me knwo what you think!

yeah, they cost more, but it sound like they do because they have a higher quality, and the good ol' USA tends to lower prices of their magz by filling them up with those MS advertisements you were talking about and making them of a lower quality, because people dont want to pay, or cannot afford to spend that much on a mag. im thinking about getting some pc magz, so if my wallet doesnt make me feel guilty about it, it may be cool to pay a few extra bucks for some quality......guess if i get one soon ill post so you dont feel so alone about purchasing english magz :D

I feel like it is an investment so I don't feel too bad about it. It is an education to me. It cuts out a lot of the shit and "politics" in the domestic mags. I think MS probably has their hand in just bout every comp mag in the states anyway.

yeah......i dont like billy gates or M$....thats why im waiting for more games and apps to be made for linux, maybe someday i can make the switch to linux...hell.....they came out with 64 bit systems awhile go....M$ is starting to lag behind....

Here's a suggestion. Check out http://www.dailyrotation.com/.

Daily Rotation has about 300 sources to choose from. Just check the ones you want headlines from, as well as how many topp headlines you want on top of your page (go for the max!), and you're sett.

It's the only thing that I have found to satisfy my craving for tech news.

Mike Grahek said:
I don't know how many of you read PC-related magazines, but I am a big fan of them. I feel that I get a lot of new information that I can't find anywhere else. Here is my question for the members, and also an observation.

Hey man. Just curious. What kind of stuff can you find in magazines that you cannot find on the Internet? I could understand that there are stuff in "text books" that are not found on the internet due to the sheer amount of effort it goes into writing a theoretical computer book - and they don't let people have it for free. But even so, Universities like MIT have "open" online non-credit courses that people can take for free.

But, unless you are trying to be an expert on some theoritical aspect of computers, I would personally think that you can find everything you want on the internet (hardware, installations, modding, overclocking, future of computer, etc.). And if you want "detailed" info, you certainly wouldn't go for a magazine!. You'd read a textbook!..

Re: Re: Magazine Comparisons

Chankama said:
Hey man. Just curious. What kind of stuff can you find in magazines that you cannot find on the Internet? I could understand that there are stuff in "text books" that are not found on the internet due to the sheer amount of effort it goes into writing a theoretical computer book - and they don't let people have it for free. But even so, Universities like MIT have "open" online non-credit courses that people can take for free.

But, unless you are trying to be an expert on some theoritical aspect of computers, I would personally think that you can find everything you want on the internet (hardware, installations, modding, overclocking, future of computer, etc.). And if you want "detailed" info, you certainly wouldn't go for a magazine!. You'd read a textbook!..

That is a very good point. The reason I have been buying a lot of magazines, is probably due to laziness. It can also carry them around with me. I've been learning a lot about Linux and a magazine comlpiles it all into a convienient place for a beginner.

I will be using more online sources now that you have brought it up. Thank you for saving me some money that I can put towards computer hardware!

I wouldn't know what the mag's are like in the US but here in England they are up to stands but way overpriced like £5-8pound for a decent magazine, but I don't normally buy magazines although I recently bought one... been around a year or so since I purchased one.

I can understand the 'take it with you' aspect, as I do the same.

But it just kills me when a magazine article talks about something, and just a few days before the news had completely changed regarding the item, and I had read about it already.

I guess that just illustrates the difference between bi-weekly or monthly print, and up-to-the-minute interent reporting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom