Easy Open-Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

majanosko

Beta member
Right. So the computer club here on campus is attempting to start a computer recycling and refurbishment center. And were trying to get away with not using client liscenses for reinstalling OS's.

So what were thinking is OPEN SOURCE! However, we have two dilemas.

The first is, we need something that a person whos getting a free computer will be able to use from the get (basicly that means ease of use comparable to windows.) We want something that an entry-level computer user wont have trouble getting around in.

Second, we want something that will not necesarily need the latest and greatest hardware components, since we are going to be using donated computers for this project.
So if anyone has any ideas or suggestions, i'd greatly appreciate some feedback.
Thanks alot.

right.
however, there are lots of distros, and im not sure if any of the ones i know about know are suitable for a newby.

thats all we need is someone getting a new computer and deciding to play around in command shell and then calling us up saying its broken.

uhh ive heard of MS donating OS's and even computers to schools before... might wanna see if u beg them enough.. they might hook you guys up

im not doubting that theyll donate OS's to the cause. Im just wondering if theyll donate unlimited user clients to us, as well.

chances are the computers have an ms license already...
since they no longer support win95/98, dont that mean they already got their money and you can do whatever you want with it now... (**ha**)

keep it simple. . . Redhat, mandrake. . .

just load a good office suite, (theres a topic somewhere on that - ), a browser, setup ppp, and give them instructions for changing the phone number, username and password. . .

good luck, let us know how you make out..

Do you think Redhat or Mandrake are simple enough for poeple that have little to no computer experience?
Thats what i had suggested, and several people were against it caliming that it wasnt going to be that easy to jump right into the OS's without any computer experience.

Also, our teacher told us that with 98 and higher there is some sort of turnaround policy in which case you must report to MS whenever you are reselling a machine with a previously registered version of windows on it. were trying to keep with legality.

Red Hat has got very good support at the moment and is fast going downhill.
SuSE kicks arse and is now bigger and better than before. Load it up with KDE and some explanations of the unix filesystem and the way it works (security/root and permissions are a good place to start) with some range of applications like graphics Gimp or Blender, office with OpenOffice.org and Compilers like gcc. Use kppp to set up an internet connection (fairly explanatory just make sure you dont have a winmodem its a pain).
Also some konsole command line would be good.

Hope this helps ;-)

Windows EASY? -- If your car started half the time and stopped whenever it felt like it. You'd sell it to the first sucker that came along. . . thats what billy boy did and keeps doing. . . If it werent for the kids games, and the digital camera, I dont think i would have windoze left on any of my pcs... .

People are forced to deal with mutilple users with windows XP... they are gonna learn about file permissions etc, anyway.... either by choice or accident. . .

ANYWAY, enuf ranting (*had a bad day at work, can you tell?*). . .

Don't forget the WINE with the KDE . . . some sort of windows layer will probably be necessary . .. setup your own INIT level in linux (*kinda like a failsafe*), that way you can remote admin if you have to. .

Keep in mind, not many ISPs support linux on the desktop. . . if they have anyproblems connecting, then they are gonna call you. . . their neighbor or kids wont be able to help them - THEY dont know about the Linux stuff. . . (*isnt that what hackers use?*). . .

Send out a couple of test boxes and see how big the worms in the can are. . .. . check your local daycare centers, they would probably take a few pcs to keep the kids busy. . .

What ever OS you go with. .

- You may also want to put up a web page where you can keep info...As long as they get onto the internet, they can look at your versions of howtos and FAQs, and all will be well...

- Make sure that you give them a boot disk... then you can reload the os if needed, or reset the root password (*not that anyone would forget that*)...

FWIW. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom