2x 6600GT (SLI) or 1x 6800GT (Normal)

Status
Not open for further replies.
<--- not a big ATI fan (don't ask why)

I would like to stick with SLI as with two graphics cards means I will have double the performance for the future and if some new card comes out and it is compatible with the mobo or whatever and i want to upgrade i will ;)

the only thing i can say is im glad i saved up the cash to pay outright for the system rather than get it on finance :eek:

I hope you realize that 2 video cards in SLI is NOT double the performance. Far from it. And also not everything supports it so you should consider that as well. SLI is expensive and buggy and doesn't deliver.
Get a single video card and upgrade to a much more powerful and newer one later.

Since you hate ATI, get one 6800 GT and OC it as needed. Then buy into the next generation of nvidia card when it comes out.

dale5605 said:
I hope you realize that 2 video cards in SLI is NOT double the performance. Far from it. And also not everything supports it so you should consider that as well. SLI is expensive and buggy and doesn't deliver.
Get a single video card and upgrade to a much more powerful and newer one later.

Since you hate ATI, get one 6800 GT and OC it as needed. Then buy into the next generation of nvidia card when it comes out.

I didn't mean double the performance, what I mean is that since they each look after half the monitor its better than just the one lol

An AGP system costs more money with the same other stuff :eek: so technically the SLI is more value for money ;)

Dudes, there isn't a single card out there that can deliver the performance of SLi. Of course, referring to games that are supported by SLi. I'm excluding the one's that aren't supported for they are irrelevent to this discussion.

In SLi, you can play with all eye candy maxed, a res of 1600x1200 with 4xaa and 8xaf and still get over 100fps for your average frame rate. In Doom3 I believe you'll still get near 140-160 fps. NO single card can compare to that. Now, if you look at that SAME SLi rig a year from now, it will STILL get better fps than a single X800. Add another year and you STILL get better fps than an X800. (this even goes with the X850XT PE). So, in the long run- if you DON'T want to have to upgrade for awhile, SLi is NOT a bad choice. Sure, it IS expensive- possibly TOO expensive, and YES- it IS over rated, but it will offer longer lasting performance than ANY single card out there today.

SLi MAY die off, eventually. I think it will. But NOT for a LONG time. Since ATI is now in the SLi game, game devs will be programming with THAT in mind, dual card designs.

Yes, I know that they must also take into consideration the folk that DON'T have SLi or AMR rigs, but the devs will make the "options" and "enhancements" available to those whom have such rigs.

HL2 is already being re-vamped:

http://www.hlfallout.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=34897

Games like F.E.A.R. will continue to push graphics even higher, so if you want longevity and you have the cash for SLi, single card is NOT the best route.

Show me ATI's card (besides the R520, that isn't out yet so it is irrelevant) that can come close to dual 6800GTs with visuals maxed, 4xaa/8xaf @1600x1200- last I checked the best AVG. frame rate for the X850 XT PE was around 80fps, peaking at and slightly above 100fps. So, no- single card IS NOT the best choice for longevity IF you have the cash for SLi. Or even AMR for that matter.

OK i'll defo buy the SLI system but the way Im going to work it now is - ill buy the system above and instead of having to upgrade it internally ill save up for a beastly monitor :cool: such as the Viewsonic VP201B so I can run stuff at 1600x1200 well ;)

Thanks for your views! :)

No, SLI is not a better deal. You aren't factoring price into that very much.
An SLI motherboard costs about $215 alone plus if you get 2 6800 GT's at like $360 a piece that adds up to a lot of money. An X850 XT will perform only 10-20 fps less than 2 6800gt's in SLI and costs MUCH less than that. You could get a $115 mobo like I have that will perform nicely, and an x850 xt for $445.

So, using my example the SLI setup will cost you about $935.
The x850 xt setup will cost about $560.

So for $400 additional cost the SLI rig might give you 10-20 more fps.

The x850 xt only performs 10-20 fps less than the 6800 gt SLI setup in most games, hoever i other games it performs around the same, or ever better, in the case of half life 2.

With the $400 you save you could wait until a newer video card is released and sell your 850 xt to buy a new one that will most definitely outperform the SLI setup and probably will have still cost you LESS money!

I don't know why you would want SLI unless you honestly want to blow all the money you can for a few extra fps.

Here is the review that compars the x850 xt to the SLI and other setups. It shows you that SLI is not really worth it.

http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/radeon-x850xt/index.x?pg=1

I just hope you didn't buy the stuff yet. Don't listen to rether, the x850 xt is a single card and it CAN compare to the 6800 gt in SLI. He doesn't know what he's talking about.

OK, Now I'm flipping confused! Can someone with a broad mind who isn't an ATI or Nvidia fan boy and not an AGP or SLI fan boy please give me an honest opinion. The SLI system is £1730 - the agp system is £1699.

Theres no real price difference but as you said in your own post there is a performance difference of 10-20 fps

How is there no price difference? There is a huge price difference like I stated.
Are you comparing the cost of 2 6600 gt's in SLI to the cost of an x850 xt?
Also the x850 xt is PCI-E, why would you want to get an AGP system? You can get a PCI-E system that is not SLI...
I think you need more information before you decide because you seem to be a little bit confused and not completely understanding.

I'm an ATI fan but I still know what I'm talking about. Even one 6800 gt PCI-E is a better deal than 2 of them in SLI.

OK... I have the £1730 for this in SLI... even if they did bring out a better graphics card later surely it would be compatible with this system? I thought you were talking about an AGP system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom