Strange IE problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Win2kpatcher

Fully Optimized
Hello! I have a bizzare thing happening in IE that I just can not pin point. Ok I have a fresh install of Windows XP with service pack 2 built in so spyware is not a concern. When I install a certain program (Music Match Jukebox) it causes my IE to mess up!

i.e. when I go to www.hotmail.com the banner that displays at the top of the page (usually a flash or gif object) will not display it has a "page can not be displayed error" but only inside the banner the rest of the page is fine.

another example is when I go to www.pcgamer.com the two flash objects wont load and the page will just sit there and do nothing.

With music match installed I ran spybot & adaware just for kicks and both came up clean. I re-installed IE and also tried repairing the OS with no luck. I removed music match and reinstalled and no luck. I cleared out all temp files, temporary internet files, cookies and all that!what the heck?? The only way to fix it is by reformatting and leaveing jukebox off...any ideas? Also this is for a lot of websites not just these two..thanks!

Also note I have the SP2 firewall turned off, and all security settings on low or off as I thought that was the problem, but still the same issue :(

Try clearing out your flash cache and see if that helps.

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player

Delete everything in this folder, close IE then re-open and see if that helps.

cool I'll give that a shot when I get off of work tonight! Any sugesstions for the non-flash objects not displaying? thanks!

The only thing in that regard would be maybe an antivirus setting, I know certain norton/mcafee versions have ad blocking capability. Maybe it's being blocked in that way. Otherwise, the only other way I know to check is go to your internet options and make sure the setting in advanced to show images is checked.

Have you installed Musicmatch 10.0? If so that is your problem as Musicmatch released a very very bug ridden version that has reaked all kinds of havoc with XP SP 2. Many people including myself are having problems with Musicmatch 10.0.

After you uninstall MM, delete any remaining files left over in your program files folder. You might wanna try to repair IE through one of these 2 methods.

Method 1: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP
From the Start menu, select Run.
In the Open field, type sfc /scannow (Note: There is a space between sfc and /scannow)
Select the OK button.
Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.
Reboot the computer when System File Checker completes.

Method 2: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP
From the Start menu, select Search, select All Files and Folders.
Select More Advanced Options and place a checkmark beside Search Hidden Files and Folders option.
Ensure that Search System Folders and Search Subfolders are also checked.
In the All or Part of the File Name box, type ie.inf
In the Look In drop-down menu, select C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder.
Click the Search button.
In the search results pane, find the ie.inf file located in Windows\Inf folder.
Right click the ie.inf file and click Install on the context menu.
Reboot the computer when the file copy process is complete.

If you have to reformat your drive then install MM 9.0 or earlier until MM properly releases a new version or fix. I found a link to 9.0 if you want it. It seems most of the problems are caused by the mim.exe and the "logging and tracing manager", both which are new to MM 10.0.

Musicmatch 9.0

note - turn off check for new updates when it installs.

Just to give you a better idea of problems others are having with MM 10.0 here's a link.

Digital Music Weblog

I hope some of this was useful.

Thanks for the reply! I have MM ver 8.0...is this software free now or how does that work? I purchased mine from best buy some time ago as I wasnt able to RIP CD's at CD quality (128kbps)..has this changed? Can you now download it for free and RIP CD's at CD quality.that would be awesome! I will try 9.0 if that is the case :)

If you purchased MM supposedly you should qualify for a free upgrade. I'm really not sure as MM changed their policy last year regarding lifetime upgrades for versions 9 and up. Even if you don't qualify for the upgrade since you paid for that version you should be able to rip at high speeds and encode at high bit-rates. Go under options > recorder > settings. You will find quality settings there.

edit - the free version is capped at up to 8x for burning cd's and capped at up to 10x for ripping cd's.

Try those IE fixes and let us know how things go.

Good luck. :)

ok great! I didnt see all those IE things to try...I swear it wasnt there when I first read it!haha..maybe Im just crazy :) Ill give it a shot when I get home then report back to you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom