What runs at 70C?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dale5605

Daemon Poster
I don't like using the utility that comes with the Gigabyte board to monitor my temperatures and things because it doesn't show enough information. So I decided to try Motherboard Monitor 5.

Only problem is that during the setup when it asked me to choose my motherboard model, my model wasn't listed. So I had to set the thing up manually.

There are 3 temperature readings that I am getting. I know what two of them are. The CPU is 21C at idle on the gigabyte utility so I know that the one reading 21C on mobo monitor 5 is the CPU sensor. Another sensor says 25C which I can also conclude is my chipset temp since the gigabyte utility displayed the same temperature. I have also been able to get the same reading for one case fan and my CPU fan.

There is only one thing I can't figure out. The last temperature reading says 70C. And I don't know what that sensor reading is for. Is there any part of my computer or motherboard that could reasonably be running at 70C? Maybe another chipset or something. I'm just curious as to what this 70C temperature is referring to.

According to ATI Tool the graphics card GPU is at about 37C idle and the GPU ambient is about 35C idle. So I don't think it's that.
I don't know if a graphics card could even handle 70C temperatures?

By the way, on Everest, it gives the 70C temperature as the CPU temperature.

does the 70c reading change at all? if it changes, its a real temp, if it doesnt, its a messed up sensor.

My 6800GT has 3 temp sensors on it. One around the memory modules, one on the gpu core, another on the other side of the card. I'm guessing that the 70c is the temp of your video core temp.

I don't know, all my other reading say my GPU core is 37C...
My x800 xt pe usually idles around 41C. So I doubt the x800 xl would run hotter than that.

Dale5605, the X800 XT PE can handle temps of around 81+ degrees celcius. That 70 can be your room temp, but thats hard to determine from inside the computer. Its very possible thats your HDD. 10000rpms runs very hot.

Personally, all you REALLY need to know is your CPU and GPU. As long as your certain its not your CPU/GPU/mobo. I wouldent worry. But yes, that 70 is anonnying, since it keeps poping up. That would drive me crazy.

70c for a grfx card isn't that bad if its a 6600GT as the max temp before slowdown is 145C

He has his specs in his sig. For the XT PE, 70 degrees celcius would be pretty normal. But he has a ATI temp monitor utility. So i dont think thats his cards temp.

Sorry I forgot to specifiy, this is actually for my amd 64 bit beta test system, not my main system.
No it is not my vid card because I have checked and like I said it is about 36C now. And actually my x800 xt pe is idling at 37C right now, with 33C ambient.

But are you sure video cards can handle temps even over 100C? That seems a little crazy to me. I'd be worried if my video card temp went over 60C. That's why I'm considering the Zalman V700-Cu for my x800 xl, because I would like to see temps more in the 20s.

Oh and since you mentioned my hard drive codeine I don't know about yours, but Everest places my 10k raptor at 28C. If it was 70C I would definitely have to get the Zalman hard drive heatpipe cooler to cool that thing down.

No, I was more concerned that this temperature was coming from something on the motherboard itself. I know my "chipset" is 25C, but I'm not sure which that is. Is that the southbridge do you think? Could it be that another chipset, like my northbridge or something, is at 70C? I would like to figure out if one of the chips on my mobo is 70C so I can hurry up and stick a heatisnk on there to cool it down.

I dont think your SB or NB would get that hot. Have you increased voltage to them? Usually those chips never have any kind of problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom