F1 to bootup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB3JUV

Baseband Member
I am working on a friends computer that is really screwed up. His operating system was corrupt so I reinstalled Windows XP.

The computer is a HP Pavilion zv5000 laptop. To bootup anything, CD or harddrive, I have to press F1 after the little HP screen pops up. How can I stop it from doing that.

I reflashed the BIOS to the most updated version, yet it still won't boot up until I press F1.

Not only does it require f1 to boot, after it would boot to hard drive, it would give me a black screen with the little white vertical bars on the bottom and take about 2 minutes to completely fill the bars. Then it would give me the XP Home Edition load up screen, which was also slow. Once as I got into XP though, the thing ran fast as any computer I have ever used.

I am also completely erasing the as I am typing this using AutoClave.

What can I do to get rid of the F1 bootup? And how can I make sure the XP loads up fast?

Thanks

If you go into the boot options in the bios there are options to select what order you wish for the computer to boot in. Most likly those arnt set and you just need to set them and your good to go.

Do you get an error message or anything when it tells you to press F1? I've seen this before, and it's usually because it hasn't detected a certain peripheral and it's asking for confirmation before proceeding. It might be in the "Halt On" setting in the BIOS. I.e. Halt on no keyboard detected, etc.

Although I never understood how you could press F1 when no keyboard was detected...

I don't know if it still is under warrenty. I guess I could check. I don't think they would do anything though.

The BIOS is set the way that it was from the factory. It is a PhenioxBIOS which has the option to load to factory settings. I did that and saved it. Still requires it to push F1.

My default boot order is

Diskette Drive
CD-ROM Drive
Hard Drive
Network

I have tried setting it up different ways, with the hard drive first and it still requires me to push F1.

No error comes up. I found out that you have to push F1 just by trying a bunch of keys. If I didn't try that I would never know. It just doesn't do anything. It is a blank screen until you press F1.

BTW...my hard drive is still being erased. If I let the computer sit for a while. The screen goes blank (still erasing in the background because the HD activity light is on still) but if I want to display the screen again, I have to push F1. This might help you guys out.

disable the hp screen in bios so you can see your boot screen.
then maybe you can see what's going on.

"No keyboard detected. Press "F1" to continue. Hahaha :D lol!

Yes, check the "Halt on" setting m3trj mentioned. You get this with stuff like empty CMOS battery, no mouse, memory error etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom