Can't Get Data From old HD in new comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rouen

In Runtime
All the information I want is on the desktop of my old computer hard drive (HD) , which used Windows XP.

On the new computer, I can't find the information anywhere, I've done searches and so forth, but no files that I want can't be found, although everything else is there. All of this existed on my Desktop.

Also, I can't start the computer with the old HD attached when booting up, I get the blue screen of death and reboot. However, I can start windows without it, then attach it, and search the hardware and get into the HD that way. I got everything I want but whats on the desktop, which is just as important. It says I can't access the admin folder, which is where I think it is. BUT, it says the admin folder is empty, 0 bytes. Was it deleted or is it just a security feature?

The old HD is a Western Digital 80 GB. It wont start with any jumper setings, even as secondary slave. The one I use to boot the computer is a brand new SATA Hitachi HD 80 GB.

I really appreciate feedback. The new mother board is ASUS P4P800 SE, and other new parts are Radeon 9800 SE Power Color, Corsair XMS Extreme Series RAM, DDR400 512 MB.

Update: If I go to ALL USERS, and check the desktop ((Keep in mind I'm the only user on the computer)) I find all the shortcuts for programs I had, but not the actual files I had saved, like my music.

When you put the hard drive in, are you using it on the same channel as the new hard drive? IDE 1? Try using the 80GB on IDE2 and see if it boots. The new hard drive is it SATA? Do you have another PC you can hook it into and copy the files using a crossover cable?

You mean you can't access the files on the desktop? The best thing to do is go to the old computer with the old HD in it and copy the files to a folder, then try again in the new computer.

I suppose hooking it up to the old one would work, but that means I would have to disassemble the new one and reassemble the old one, and disassemble the old one and reassemble the new one. Theres gotta be another way, besides, there is no guarentee that when I tried to boot with the old one that it didn't corrupt the folder for whatever reason.

Sounds like it might be a security issue. Did you encrypt your files/folders in the old computer??? If so I’d recommend logging into your new setup as ‘Administrator’. Also plugging in the hard drive while the computer is running sounds like a really bad idea to me. I don’t think IDE hard drives are PnP, and if you keep doing that it may corrupt your data. Also if you get it mounted as a drive try using a program like BadCopy to retrieve deleted or corrupt data.
http://www.download.com/BadCopy-Pro/3000-2248_4-10333693.html?tag=lst-0-1

I found the answer to the problem. I'll post the link right after this. I went into Safe Mode and logged in as Administrator. I found the folder, clicked Properties, Security Tab, Advanced Options button, Ownership Tab, and transferred all rights to all users and administrator for Windows XP (On the new Hard Drive) Worked like a Charm.

Edit: Here is the link
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421#2

I appreciate all the help though guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom