DDR3 by 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.
that sucks bigtime, makes me feel used.
Aint that the truth.

With cards like the 6600GT, it's getting better though.

Get a board like mine, NF7-S v2 approx $75
a XP-M approx $90
1gb of valueRAM (TwinMOS makes good valueRAM that's even OC'able like a beast with enough voltage) approx $110

6600GT Approx $180

That's $455 and can play all of todays games just fine...mind you there's other costs of course, but this is assuming you're upgrading from something older, like a 750MHz duron or something and already have a hard drive..

You might need a new PSU and you can even get a good one for around $50, so about $500 and you have a more than capable gaming machine that'll last well over a year, buuuuut in terms of 'HARDCORE GAMERS' it will be seen as 'basic crap'

Oh well, like I said, I can play max settings on all of todays most insane games of course referring to doom3, HL2, and far cry, and can even throw on 2x AA in most, an 4x AA in HL2 is completely playable...

I don't even try to keep up with the hardware race honestly, because I can't afford it...just bugs me reading about it lol and SLI especially

I'm a hardcore gamer and I don't see that setup you suggested as crap. :)
Although I'm not too sure about the processor. I don't know if I could bring myself to purchase a mobile processor for a desktop computer. I just don't understand how you can trust a mobile processor instead of a desktop one.

I think a hard drive update would be cheap. Get 2 80 gb WD SATA in RAID 0, for $104 with shipping and you will be set for quite a long time. That amount of storage space should last a few years, and it should keep up speed-wise also. ;)

hee hee, not sure if I should mention this or not, well what the heck, here's an issue that really chapped my azz when I found out about it.Its very very common for motherboard makers to use commodity support chips on their mobo's then castrate them with a restrictive BIOS, Intel did that for years and years.The Intel advance series of mobos for example(ya long ago) could with a proper BIOS support super socket 7 up to 500mhz, Intel sold several models restricted to socket 5 operation only, the only differnce was the BIOS ROM chip, in this case it was collaboration between AWARD and Intel, in other words planned obsolescense.It wouldnt shock me at all that this is continuing today, the real loser is guys like us, the end user consumer.

How much you wanna bet microsoft and Dell and even Intel werent too darn happy when the AMD64 series actually started getting hardware support and support from gamers forcing their hand?Computer market has lots of political forces within it just like anything else, and its costs us $$.

I just don't understand how you can trust a mobile processor instead of a desktop one.
Because it works? Whats there to distrust? Same socket, and is 100% compatible.... :confused:

How much you wanna bet microsoft and Dell and even Intel werent too darn happy when the AMD64 series actually started getting hardware support and support from gamers forcing their hand?Computer market has lots of political forces within in just like anything else, and its costs us $$.
Yeah theres deals everywhere. Dell refuses to use AMD chips even though there is a demand for them in their machines. The CEO said "Nah we've been the most successful seller in history and we've never used AMD" and it's like...yeah you never tried them to compare profit margins moron....anyway that's another topic...recently microsoft spent like $60 billion on amd64 server based CPUs....so that says somethin :p

Jim henson production also uses AMD Opterons for their servers with 'On the fly' rendering where they use those animatronic puppets to control characters on the screen. They said they basically can put out a game in no time with awesome realism with these new technologies, POWER BY AMD BABY :p

using the M version is actually a very clever and smart thing really, heat is the enemy, and very soon power consumption will be too

I just do't understand how it can be just as good as a regular AMD processor if it costs less and is labeled as a mobile. If they were the same why wouldn't they just sell eht emobiles as desktop processors for even way cheaper than intel if they are just as good?

But anyway I read an article that stated that a version of america's army was completely ported to 64 bit and was run on a small 64 bit distro of linux contained on the CD. I could go for a little bit of 64 bit AA anyday. :p

Don't be decieved by price dude.

Mobile just means it was geared towards notebook users because it dissipates less heat and uses less power which leads to longer battery life.

This serves as a huge advantage in a desktop enviroment, with far superior cooling than a laptop, a mobile in a desktop can overclock with much more ease than a regular processor. The Athlon XP-Ms came in 35 and 45 watt varieties, the new AMD Turion mobile technology comes in 35 and 25 watt variations, which means even less heat dissipations, less voltage use which means a broader span you can increase the core voltage, which add together to equal pimping clock speeds.

So if the mobiles are better in every way then why don't many people buy them? And why would AMD make weaker chips to sell as it's main desktop line?

dunno, supply and demand maybe, older mobile processors used to be part of a whole board, now they are modular

It may also be that AMD is phasing out the XP's in favor of the Sempron and they have gotten far enough along in the production of mobile's that the price is cheaper, who know's?Ive always wondered in the past,say 2 years ago why the dog that the celeron was, was so darned expensive compared to the AMD equivalent which was both cheaper and faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom