Hardware Expert Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gum

Baseband Member
Does anyone know if there is a video card that is better than the nVidia TNT2 32MB card that I can buy for around $50? I'm not asking because I am too lazy to search, I'm asking because I don't want to get a piece of garbage because I didn't have the correct expertise. Thanks.

Basicly all cards are better then the one you currently have, but pricewise - not too sure as I don't live in the US but I can almost garentee that there's a one better for that price.

I believe you can get a savage 4 for about $10-$15 these days, thats about the same class of card.Back when those cards came out though drivers and software tended to be buggy as all get out.Wasnt uncommon to have several different cards like that to run various games.

Actually, you can probably get one of the early geforce cards for under $20 AND get better drivers than the old TNT2's.Ive seen geforce2 mx 400's go for about $20 recently.

I have a BFG GeForce MX 4000. I gave around $65 for it at Best Buy, so you can probably get it for $45 online. It is a great card in that I have yet to find a game that it can't work with.

just go to newegg.com, click video cards, don't put in any search information and hit search, then sort by lowest prices...they do infact have the cards you guys were talking about for like $20, the lowest card being $13 haha, but for $50 that's the best I could find, the one I linked, it's either that or an FX5200

Thanks!

One question I have on that card Nubius...

It says AGP 8X and you said mine is probably 4X or 2X. Does this matter? Does the "amount of X" have anything to do with it or do I just need an AGP slot? Thanks.

Ok thanks. My final question would be:

Given that I have a 864MHZ PIII processor and 384MB RAM, will installing a card like this improve my performance at all?

First of all, I know that my computer is not top-of-the-notch and I know that there are computers out there that are about 5x as powerful, but just working with what I have right now....

Lastly, the reason I ask this question is because someone once said that getting a new card that is advanced for my processor wouldn't help much if at all. I did however see my friend get a 64MB card (from a 32MB) and it definately made a difference. I know that just buying a new machine or upgrading my processor/RAM ALONG with my video card would give me the FASTEST results, but I'm just asking if the performance would increase at all, and if so, approximately how much?

Thank you SO much!

Well, you should see a performance increase with that system up to and including the older midrange 64mb vid cards, maybe a low end 128mb card, doubtful the extra $$ for a 128mb would be worth it really, you'll run out of CPU before video processing power.Thats about where I stopped when I was chasing the PC speed demons, with an athlon 1ghz the gains stopped at a decent 128mb card, even overclocking the card didnt do anything at all, just not enough CPU to feed it fast enough, even with the then brand new 4x agp standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom