HL2s new HDR Filled level 'Lost Coast' to run on extreme machines only

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have a 9800 Pro and I am personally not concerned about its ability to run this level at all whatsoever. Half Life 2 and the Source Engine is not a very GPU demanding engine considering what's availible on the market right now, and it would be very bizzare for its requirements to skyrocket to 16 pipeline cards.

Now, that's not to say that you get away with 1600x1200 with 4x AA and 16x AF on a 6600GT or anything similar, but I'm positive it'll be playable with fair quality on a 6600GT pretty easily.

Im sure ill be fine (see my sig). only thing that my be troublesome is my CPU. As for the 6600 GT, i think it'll run. it might get noticeable choppier in certain spots though.

I currently have a 9800 Pro and I am personally not concerned about its ability to run this level at all whatsoever. Half Life 2 and the Source Engine is not a very GPU demanding engine considering what's availible on the market right now, and it would be very bizzare for its requirements to skyrocket to 16 pipeline cards.
Yeah the CURRENT HL2 engine may not be, but this is a revamped insane addition in lighting to the old engine. You'd have to see the 'With HDR' and "Without HDR" screen to get an idea of the vast improvement in lighting it makes. They specifically designed it to be a lot more hardcore whereas of course HL2 they want an array of people to play it.

Charbo - Few weeks is all the guy said, free download via steam

I've been hearing bits and pieces about this HL2 lighting update all over the place- hopefully someone, somewhere has recorded that TV spot so that the rest of us can get a proper glimpse of it :)

Can't wait. If Doom 3 & Far Cry run spot on, I don't see why HDR HL2 won't, but that's just my speculation...

I don't see why HDR HL2 won't,
because Doom3 and Far Cry aren't using this updated lighting ability.

You can't compare something brand spanking new, that won't even be out for a few more weeks to games that have been out for months dude. This is a completely new way of rendering light onto the in game scenery.

I know that.... Like I say, I'm only speculating.

Going by the tiny bit of Unreal 3.0 footage I've seen, this will be be a good impression of what to expect methinks :). I wonder if Raven Software will soup up the Doom 3 engine's lighting for Quake 4?...

All I know.....is the gaming shyte has hit the fan....graphics are just going to get more and more ridiculous quicker than ever it seems.

I still hope to god they get out of this SLI crap though...dual GPU cards aren't bad, but still I want to see a reasonably priced single GPU solution that OWNS ALL :p

Not too much to ask is it? haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom