Weird problem with Athlon XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeckoEcho421

Daemon Poster
Ok, here's the deal. The system I'm having a problem with has a 120G HD, 1G Kingston Value ram, Athlon Xp 3000+ socket A, and an a7v600 motherboard. The system says the default speed for the cpu is 1300Mhz which I know isn't right because it should be 2167 Mhz. If I set it to anything higher than 1300Mhz the system goes in to an endless reboot and comes up with random errors. Even when I hit "Restore all defaults" in the BIOS, it goes back to 1300Mhz! I'm being to think the bios is whacked and if that's the problem could someone point me to the correct bios upgrade I should download? I would really appreciate it because it's my old pc and I'm trying to get it to work for my little bro so we can play CS :)

Are you setting the FSB to 166 like it should be in the BIOS...is what what you mean when you say 'you tried to set it at 2.1" or whatever the default speed was

The FSB is at 100 when it's at 1300 and when I change the speed to 2167 the FSB goes to 166. Could you tell me where to download the correct bios update? I've heard that a failed bios update could render it unusable.

You need to hit up your manufacturers website for a BIOS update.

Make sure the BIOS is at 166 and make sure your RAM is at 166 also and something weird like the RAM being stuck to a ratio forcing it higher isn't happening.

Yes a failed BIOS flash will make it a paperweight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom