Temps And Power Supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

lppa2004

Beta member
Okay I have recently upgraded my system and my PC/CPU is running much hotter than it used too... I am wondering if this is due to my PSU and it possibly being close to overload I will give everyone a rundown of before and after specs and then maybe you could all tell me the best PSU for my particular hardware.. It does seem to be the power suplly because it is the hottest component in the case right now and it didnt seem to run that hot beofre... ANy way here goes specs...

COMMON COMPONENTS BOTH B4 & AFTER
---------------------------------------------------------
ASROCK P4V88 MOBO
2x 512MB RAM = 1GB - WINTEC AMPO
INTEL P4 3.0GHZ - PRESCOTT w/ HT
WD 160GB 7200RPM
CREATIVE SOUNDBLASTER LIVEw/o EXTIGY PANEL
16x DVD R/W - AOPEN
FLOPPY DRIVE
PSU - MGE VIGOR - 400W
LED LIGHTED DICE MOD FOR 5 1/4 BAY - made this myself
----------------------------------------------------------

BEFORE COMPONENTS
-------------------------------
MSI NVIDIA GFORCE MX4000 - 128MB
Avermedia TVphone TVtuner (old card came out in about 95 is my guess)
----------------
CPU TEMPS RANGED @
IDLE 45-47c
LOAD 55-58c (starcraft was used)

CASE TEMPS RANGED @
35-38c

AND PSU seemed to run fairly cool
--------------------------------

AFTER COMPONENTS
----------------------------------
WD SATA 80GB 7200 RPM
MSI Nvidia FX5200-VT128 -- Video & TV tuner combined - 128MB
----------------
TEMPS NOW RANGE

CPU
IDLE - 47-49c - w/o case cover
IDLE - 51-53c - w/ case cover
LOAD - 60-63c (starcraft)

CASE TEMP @ around 45 now w/ case cover off (very odd)

---------------------

IT Seems as if the video, sata drive, and PSU are all running quite hot (by touch)

---------------------
O ONE MORE THING.. WAS USING THE FOLLOWING CPU COOLER b4 & after
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-103-139&depa=0

SWITCHED TO THIS THINKING IT WOULD HELP KEEP CPU A BIT COOLER DUE TO COPPER CORE, A BIT OF a DIFFERENCE, not much though -
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-110-010&depa=0
------------------
Would switcing to Liquid cooling be a better investment... such as this...
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-124-005&depa=0
-------------------

Also on a side note, it is spring now and my outside room temperature has increased quite a bit, i dunno if maybe thats also why all this happend so suddenly...

--------------------

If anyone can help me here id greatly appreciate it, apaprently im going to need another PSU, i guess thats what i get for ignoring peoples advice on getting the better PSU, but i was under a budget when i upgraded to the new processor, Intel isnt exactly cheap.. lol

If anyone can suggest a good PSU for me that is realitively affordable but isnt gonna be a bad investment at the same time, id definitely appreciate any and all suggestions

Thanks in advance.. Chris
you can email me at - djhunted75@hotmail.com , w/ suggestions or post them on here

whew.... very nice... but a bit out of my price range... and its a mail in rebate, which i never have much luck getting back most of the time... would going up to 500W+ but a bit cheaper make a difference...

Ohh and just out of curiosity, do SATA drives use more power and run hotter than IDE.. cause it really does seem like my SATA drive runs hotter.. i think im going to invest in a HDD cooler

O and is power consumption a cause of CPU going up in temp, or is that just the case temp causing the CPU rise in temp

Done a lil research on newegg and came up with this PSU..
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-182-008&depa=0

Wondering if this would be a good solution for my PSU problem... Especially if i coupled it with the liquid cooling in about another month... or should i add a bunch of cheap fans and HDD coolers... altho i think id cut down on pwer consumption by going with liquid and a couple HDD coolers, unless i can find a Liq cooling for the drives that go with the liquid cooling unit i wanna get...

LOL... this PC is turning into one costly machine.. by the tiem i get it to my standards... the speed will be 2ghz out of date..

altho i must say im pretty satisfied with the configuration now.. not much of a gamer.. poker and a bit of starcraft... with a lot of photoshop and some video editing mixed in... I cant see me needing much more speed wise.. cept anothe gig of ram and hopefully dvd-r will get faster for movies...

Just getting this thing to be cool during the summer in my room is going to be the challenge, maybe i need to get a window air cond... combined with our Cen Air... hehehe

lppa2004 said:
O and is power consumption a cause of CPU going up in temp, or is that just the case temp causing the CPU rise in temp

I would like to know about this actually. Would replacing the power supply with one with more watts cool things down?

no, that doesn't matter

the more power a cpu consumes, the hotter it runs; it has nothing to do with the psu

btw i wouldn't trust rosewill, since they're stuff is generic

i just seem to figure what ive got running niow that would consume more power than beofre from the CPU to make it run 3-5c hotter... Maybe Intervideo WinDVR is more power hungry than my old TV App i dunno.. an dits a fresh system install so it shouldnt be any spyware or virri installed causing the CPU usage... altho with the cover on the case temp did drop back down to normal.. so thats good... i think it must be ambient room temp causing this in the CPU... Its a bit cooler today.. so i think before summer hits im going to get a window air cond for my room... seems like the best alternative and then add liquid cooling and new PSU... id like to have the OCZ but thats definitely well out of my price range just for PSU... i understand the rosewill being generic but all the reviews were outstanding on it.. and had 5 stars.. i dunno well i gotta go for now..

I wouldn't worry about those temps. My 3Ghz Prescott runs at 66 degrees under load now, it also mysteriously increased in temperature for no reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom