Slow Install times..

Status
Not open for further replies.

C0RR0SIVE

Golden Master
Recently ive noticed it can take up to an HOUR to install a simple game like starcraft, I cant even get halo to work anymore, Now the last time i had problems with installing things was because i had 2 drives on one IDE cable... Dunno why but it kept me from installing things, Now im having the same problem... I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to get it working again. Yes ive done AV/Spyware/Adware/Malware scans, and have ran scanners on my registry and they all report no errors...

upgrade your hard drives to SATA!

You'll like the newfound speed.

otherwise which I find very helpful is reformats...probably not the best solution, but I have semi-annual reformat on my computers, mostly because the ones I have are all old and sux0r

I would go SATA if i had money... But no need in it...... And i cant afford to reformat since i cant get my data off my current HDD because the other "Backup HDD" failed on me, and my burner.... just aint burning....

It's probolly just that time to reinstall windows :(

So far, I have installed windows 3 times in the last 2 weeks :(

reinstalled XP, than I found out about XP64, ended up not liking it, ended up reinstalling xp

If you've done virus scans, etc. you have probably done some defrags as well (and if you haven't, you should). Or, like Chris said, reinstall WinXp:)

Re:

Hello,

Are programs and large files opening at reasonable speed when you open them from your Hard Drive?

I'm thinking it might be your CD-ROM drive. Does it spin sloooowwwllly when installing games? Does it spin up one moment then spin right down to near idle when installing games?

I found that my HP DVD Write 300c drive read CD-ROMs very slowly, so I had to try and maintain speed using Nero DriveSpeed. However, it doesn't always work for me. Anyways, the CD-Writer head on the drive died, so I had to buy a new CD Writer drive, which spins up to 52x and doesn't spontaneously spin down to near idle.

Could be something else though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom