AMD Toledo Dual Core Processor Variations

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaara

Fully Optimized
After remembering the individual here who was concerned with the price of the the AMD Dual Core Toledo's, I remembered that I had this page bookmarked.

http://endian.net/details.asp?ItemNo=4070

As you can tell, they are offering a wide variety streching from 2GHz to 2.4GHz, as well as a 1.6GHz variation. This probably means there are going to be high end performers which will "ohhh and awww" us with performance, and there are slower variations which will probably "ohhhh and awww" your wallet. ;)

As you can see though, they do apparently run quite hot (the reason I decided to LC mine).

I want a a pair on a motherboard, dual dual cores.
....why?

60's to 70's celcius under normal operations eh? Yeesh, they are runnin pretty hot. Can't wait until they come out they officially to see more specs

I need the processing power, im not a gamer, I have videos to edit,rip, and render, it would save time and space.On screen graphics processing isnt so much of an issue as CPU power, reprocessing video's takes alot of time.Ever had to adjust the brightness,contrast, or other things in a 2hr movie?It takes a LONG time.

Ive been moonlighting lately processing video for my court reporting agency client, they do depositions on video as well as on paper, its expensive for them, I save them some time and $$.I clean things up, and convert it into whatever format they need at night, and deliver it the next day, one job can take 8hrs of processing with what I have now, that sucks.

I dont have a whole lot of space either, less PC's in my dinky little apartment would be good.Plus, linux is already able to do 64bit and SMP, changing over would be quite easy from what im doing now.

Ok well you're talking like a dual opteron server type environment then for that kind of work, or dual Xeons....what we're talking about here doesn't even really apply to your needs at all.

Actually I think it would help alot, I could do this stuff in parallel and in batches, ive been doing it across nodes of a small cluster lately, but ethernet latency doesnt help at all.Some of the software I use is meant to be distributed across multiple nodes when avaialble, plus even 32bit apps with the amd 64 bit run just fine vs the intel 64 bit way of doing things.I could consolidate things quite a bit.The on die caches supposedly for the new dual cores are independent of each other and pretty big.Might as well just pass by the dual server chips altogether is my thinking at this point.

I may end up going the dual opetron anyway, I need to do somethig pretty darn soon, this is getting out of hand.

Cool dude but that is quite hot but for two processors that really isn't that bad if you think about it because like a standard one runs 30 or so times that by two and then there you go 60

horndude said:
I need the processing power, im not a gamer, I have videos to edit,rip, and render, it would save time and space.On screen graphics processing isnt so much of an issue as CPU power, reprocessing video's takes alot of time.Ever had to adjust the brightness,contrast, or other things in a 2hr movie?It takes a LONG time.

Ive been moonlighting lately processing video for my court reporting agency client, they do depositions on video as well as on paper, its expensive for them, I save them some time and $$.I clean things up, and convert it into whatever format they need at night, and deliver it the next day, one job can take 8hrs of processing with what I have now, that sucks.

I dont have a whole lot of space either, less PC's in my dinky little apartment would be good.Plus, linux is already able to do 64bit and SMP, changing over would be quite easy from what im doing now.

If you're using avid, im sorry.

If you're using Liquid 6 like you should be... The rendering is done on GPUs, having a faster system isnt going to help you. You'd be better off investing that money into a 3 drive u320 raid-0 array.

Dual cores are a good idea, and a step in the right direction. But, i honestly dont ever see it being benificial to anyone except maybe some scientists that need to crunch numbers. I see the 4gb/s bus bandwidth being a major issue in the near future. Obviously they can just design a new motherboard.. But, AMD doesnt write its own motherboard chipsets/specifications. At least they haven't in the past. If it doesn't flop and get pulled in the first 3-4 years, it will eventually replace current home pcs. Dual cores are before their time.

not using either, wouldnt waste my time with that, im using pro quality video software not even based on windows, SMP at this point is a waste of time with windows anything really, windows doesnt do clusters or rendering farms at all as far as I know, if it does, the software probably costs as much as a decent used car

What the hell are you talking about?

Liquid 6 has been used in SEVERAL multimillion dollar movies. It's the best video editing program ever. Great service & support (at least up until now, avid bought them).. Liquid 6 is like 300$ (With a bob), so.. You have either been getting ripped off, or uhm dont know whats up. The only SMP you want is via SLI. Dual gpu rendering is awesome, especially if you've got 2-3 raptors in raid 0 as your render drive.

And if they'de figure out some way to port http://www.fx-max.com/fxt/ to video life would be excellent.

VST rendering is almost identical to Effect rendering.. Except obviously one is audio and one is video. Even audio companies are experimenting with doing effect processing on the GPU.. Imagine the day when sonar will process over gpu, woot.

"im using pro quality video software not even based on windows"

Hit that rock a few more times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom