CPU fan failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadweight

In Runtime
the other week, i went to my noob friends and lanned som Diablo II, went til late, left it over at his house cause i know he's cool, stupid, but cool. i get a call next day during the end of my work and he asks if he can use it as a dedicated server for some CoD:UO. I say sure, ill be over in 20 min and play too.

i get over there in about 25 min. make sure everything is ok, and check teh temps. then i see that the CPU is at 110 C !!! :eek: :dead: :freak: :wooha:

I look into the case and see that the CPU fan isn't spinning anymore so i turn it off ASAP. i jiggle the power cord, turn it back on, go into the BIOS, hardware monitor, and watch the temp slowly go from 245 F to a very nice 80.

Then, Yesterday, the same thing happened, only i caught it early at 70 C. Im wondering, how can i test the mobo power? has this happened to u? is it a short in my awesome Zalman 7000 Cu? have u ever hit that temp?

Is the thermal shutdown enabled? (is it even possible to disable it?) or is it set to shutdown at a really high temp.? You may want to lower it.

What were you using to see the temps in windows?

I had the same problem there was a screw jammed between the mobo and the back of the case. Unfortunatly, the mobo fried before I found the problem.

Trifid said:
Is the thermal shutdown enabled? (is it even possible to disable it?) or is it set to shutdown at a really high temp.? You may want to lower it.

What were you using to see the temps in windows?

I use Samurize and ASUS Probe (ASUS's Temp monitor for windows. Ill try to activate the auto-shutdown.

i think the temps were reelatively accurate, i touched the heatsink when it was turned of to see if it was very hot and it just about burned me.

Thank you huge a** Zalman heatsinks and Arctic Silver 5.

charles_scott said:
Youe cpu my friend is either very freaking lucky or it will be dead in a day or so....

i dont know about this :rolleyes: , i just have to say AMD is officially the greatest thing to happen to PCs

Motherboard monitor is another good one for generating alarms/shutting down, but I'm not sure it's being updated any more for the newer motherboards.

I've replaced quite a few CPU fans. They die a lot. I keep spares on hand for just that reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom