Help choosing a PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

laeuvas

Beta member
I'm looking to get some help choosing a good PSU for the computer i'm going to build here shortly. I need a good PSU that can handle all the power requirements of a mobo running 2 video cards in SLI, along with the rest of system.

Here's my planned build. It may change a little, depending on items on sale etc :)

ASUS "A8N-SLI" nForce4 SLI Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL

AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 512K, L2 Cache, Socket 939 Windows Compatible 64-bit Processor - Retail

EVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Video Card, 128MB GDDR3, 128-Bit, DVI/TV-Out, PCI-Express, Model "128-P2-N368-TX" -RETAIL (will eventually want to run two of these in SLI)

That's the main parts of my future system. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, as i'm not real knowledgable about PSU's since 99% of the time I always just bought a case with a PSU, and never put much thought into one.

Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions, comments, or flames :D

For a system like that, I'd go with a brand name PSU (Antec,Thermaltake,OCZ,etc) that is at least 500W

I like that thermaltake one. I might get that one, depending on how much I got to spend :) Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep searching, to see if I can find anything similar to that thats a bit cheaper maybe. That PSU costs about the same as the 6600 gt :eek: . Any more suggestions? Maybe a bit cheaper. I'm having a hard time trying to find a SLI ready PSU with a 24 pin mobo connector. At least the product website links on newegg don't give very much info besides wattage, price, fans, etc. Some do provide it, but most don't :(

Thanks again for the advice ahead of time.

Yes, that would work real good, but it only has 1 pci-e connector. So basically if you added a 2nd vid card you would just have to use the converter that comes with the vid card to convert from 4 pin to 6 pin. Not a big deal though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom