static ip

Status
Not open for further replies.

spfd

Daemon Poster
im looking for a website or organization that gives free static ip's, anyone got any?
other then no-ip.com

blahaha
my gay isp wont give me a static ip cuz they said securrity reasonsssssssss
blahaha i cant make a cs server =(

can't you just use a DNS service to resolve dynamic IP's? i would think so because static IP's are very hard to get

well pretty much ill just let u know what i need to do, then u guys let me know what i need to do ^_^

im building a 2gihz computer to be a server behind a firewall. im currently on cable and they do not give static ips so yea

You wont be able to hav static ip for free, partly because IPs are purchased for a price when ISP registered as host from the institution that maintains all classes of IP addy. For example, internic. So, im really curious who would be so generous to purchase that static ip and give you for free.

However, im aware that if you configure your router that is linked to the cable, you could program that router of yours to always attempt to request for a particular ip address (provided no one is using it). Otherwise, switch to another ISP that uses a relative more static IP addy.

canada has no other cable isp other then rogers,
and no-ip.com does set it up so u have like a static ip for free, but anyways, how would i set my router up like that?

If i recall correctly, it should be Linksys routers.

so, for ur static ip issue, well, thats very generous of them, coz the static ip class need to be registered and paid for. :)

Yes, what James is referring to above is called "Dynamically-Static IP Addressing". If your ISP supports it, then you can setup your router to do this. Asking your ISP if they support this can be similar to watching grass grow though......better just to try it.
The only (SoHo type) router that I have seen do this is of the Linksys brand. Higher scale routers can do this also but not worth the money for this sort of functionality.

-Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom