*Sigh* I'm making the transition...

Status
Not open for further replies.
dale5605 said:
If you're upgrading to PCI-E then consider getting a better video card. Sell your 6800 GT AGP and motherboard and upgrade to an x850xt or something like that.
This would be a good idea.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-483&depa=1

Or if you could afford it maybe a full-fledged x850 xt pe.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-473&depa=1

:p

I actually did contemplate the X8** series, until I came to my senses lol

*FLAME WAR INITIATED... *:rolleyes:

A single 6800 GT is pretty much all I can afford right now. My performance won't be any worse, will it? :p

But I'm still contemplating this anyway. There's two ways I'm looking at it: The money's there, so buying a future-proof PCI-E/SLI board will save me buying a new board later on this year when the new gen of cards new are released. On the other hand, my performance increase will be neglegable as it stands, I will have to format my HD (c'mon admit it everyone, formatting IS a tedious affair)...

dale5605 said:
SLI is terrible, he should just get a powerful RADEON. Oh and you quoted me while I was editing the second link, I accidentally linked to the x850 xt pe AGP version instead of the PCI-E version that I now updated. I don't think the x850 xt pe is really worth the extra cost over the x850 xt though. I think the the x850 xt for $445 is a really good deal. More powerful than a 6800 gt or ultra.

I knew an ATI fan boy would have to put his two cents in.....

ATI sucks this generation with price/performance value ratio, except in the case of the X800XL. If you are wanting a high end card you are much better off going Nvidia. Get a 6800 GT/Ultra.

Also, DoomUK, i think you are making the right move in upgrading. I seriously think something was wrong with your XFX 6800 GT, becuase it was only performing marginally better than my X800 Pro, and the 6800 GT should be at least 25-50% faster.

Charbo said:
acually i just formatted last night lol...=/

I wasn't being serious there...

beedubaya said:
Also, DoomUK, i think you are making the right move in upgrading. I seriously think something was wrong with your XFX 6800 GT, becuase it was only performing marginally better than my X800 Pro, and the 6800 GT should be at least 25-50% faster.

You've always pointed this out beed, but in what respect do you mean?

In a Doom 3 timedemo, 1280x1024, High Quality, No AA, I get around 75 FPS.

I get just over 5,300 in 3DMark (for OC'ing, see below), which I know is over average for my setup...

It looks like you've improved quite magnificantly since you first got the card....when you were having problems. At those settings, I get about 31 fps on the timedemo. My card just can't handle it. How much are you selling your AGP 6800 GT for?

Sorry man, but I don't know if I'm upgrading yet, let alone sell my GFX card ;) I'm really just routing around trying to get a general opinion on my 'ageing' PC :eek: ;) hehe....

As for the performance, that Doom 3 timedemo is WITHOUT Vsync. In-game I play with Vsync ON to eliminate irritating image tearing. The settings I play Doom 3 on are Ultra quality, 1280x1024, 2xAA, Vsync ON. A timedemo on these exact settings gives me around 43 FPS. Not bad, quite playable

The settings I play Doom 3 on are Ultra quality, 1280x1024, 2xAA, Vsync ON. A timedemo on these exact settings gives me around 43 FPS. Not bad, quite playable
Yeah considering Ultra quality was really meant for 512mb cards....I remember the 6xxx release news back in march of last year and they said "We will be having new 512mb cards out by summer" and here it is, a freakin year later and they are JUST now barely starting to show news of being released....that's kind of lame IMO, buuuut oh well.

Atleast when i step up to the 6800GT I will be able to see it on Ultra settings although I doubt I'll actually play it like that unless it does infact run great. I've never turned Vsync on in any game though, I've never had an image tearing issue and it just slows framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom