ddr ram question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syphanx

Daemon Poster
Hey guys,
At the moment i have a pc 2700 DDR 400+ 256 ram module, is it possible to get a 2700 DDR 400+ 512mb module???
and if not would it work if i put a pc 3200 512mb module in with my existing one????
thanks,

typically you shouldn't change the speeds of the sticks you're using, expecially for ddr, instead stick with the 2700, and get a stick of 512, so you would have a stick of 256 and a stick of 512 correct? both at the speed of pc2700, i've just heard horror storries about using 2 sticks in dual chan, with 2 different speeds, but it's up to you most definatly... the size of the stick won't matter, the more the better, but speed can screw things up (maybe)

You can usually do it. It'll just slow down to whatever your board can handle.

But I think you have it wrong, it's
PC2700, DDR333
PC3200, DDR400

you can add as much ram as your motherboard supports . the manual will tell you this and let you know what is the maximum and minimum size memory module you can put in. in modern mobos it is usually 128MB min and 1024MB max. make sure your motherboard supports the speed you want DDR400 pc3200, btw yes you have the specs wrong like lostamn said.

which ever is the slowest memory interface you have in the motherboard is what all the memory will be slowed down to. example you have pc2100 and pc3200, they will both run at pc2100. if your CPU front side bus is slower than your memory FSB than getting faster memory the CPU can not take advantage of the memory's inscreased FSB which in this case i would bet your CPU is at 266mhz or 333mhz so having a pc3200 at 400mhz is not going to increase computer speed much.

i have the same question. so if i am using pc2700 right now, and i put in another 256mb, but it's pc3200. it won't work? or it will, but really slow? will windows pick up the 512mb or just pick up whichever 256mb is in the first socket?

I dont think ive got it wrong Lostman,
because when i bought the ram it said on it, pc 2700 256mb, DDR 400+.... yeah so im not sure though..
what does the 400+ actually mean?

no we are sure of this, you should check the specs again. what the heck is 400+? there is no such thing. where did you buy the memory and please give us the maker and model of the memory so we can double check it. bandage_boy you might want to read 1 post up from yours and what Demalii said.

lol i cant remember the model and make of my ram...... but it said, ddr 400+
that's all i can tell you sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom