XP doesn't shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever i have to turn it off i have to hold down the off button, (the forced turn off) and then it has to run through scandisk again
I don't really want to turn it off like that cos it might come up with disk problems

When did you install XP?
Has it always done this?
Most likely, the version of your BIOS needs to be upgraded.
First of all, your BIOS needs to be of the ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) standard. Even if you do have an ACPI-BIOS (most newer BIOS versions do), then the ACPI-BIOS version that you have may not meet Windows XP standards. If this is the case then things like the OS not shutting off the PC fully is a common problem.

The ONLY resolution is to flash your BIOS with the latest version. Even when you do this, Windows XP still will do the same thing because you need to Flash the BIOS before you install XP. Currently, there is no way around this. If you are that set on getting it fixed then you have to re-format, apply the BIOS flash and then reinstall XP.

-Michael

ok right click on the desktop goto new and then text file and name it shutdown.txt then inside that text file type RUNDLL32.EXE shell32,SHExitWindowsEx 4
RUNDLL32.EXE shell32,SHExitWindowsEx 8

type them both just like that and then rename the file shutdown.bat. those commands will 1) the 4 command shuts down all applications and 2) the 8 command shuts the pc down and turns it off. Hope this helps.

1. It hasn't done this before, only in the last week.
2. I installed XP about March-April this year (it's got SP1)
3. i have added 64 MB (RAM) to it about 2-3 months ago, but hasn't affected it.
just 1 problem with making shutdown.bat, i can't rename the file extension on this computer

well i copied "msdtcvtr.bat" from C:\Windows\System32\ and edited it with the shutdown commands and stuff then renamed it to shutdown, where do I put it? in C:\Windows, C:\Windows\System32, or C:\Windows\System?

Have you tried locating an upgrade for your version of your BIOS?
I have seen this happen many times before and this has been the only way I've been able to fix it. The files in the previous instruction are the same scripts that Windows uses when shutting down. This way you are just forcing another shut down which doesn't make sense if it already exits and already shuts down. The problem is that the PC doesn't power off which is the responsibility of the BIOS once the OS gives it the command.
Try upgrading to a compatable ACPI-BIOS version. You can look at the HCL (Hardware Compatability List) for Microsoft XP to see which for your BIOS is the correct one. But like I said before, you will have to re-install after flashing your BIOS version.

-Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom