What do you use to cool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
alecjahn said:
How's that working out for you? Is it really that quiet? I've heard a lot about those but no first-hand experiences. Let me know. (I'm in the market for a 120.. :))

I hope you get a new case. If I remember correctly yours has so many fans theres probably less material than there is fans. :D

I have one of the older panaflo's, and it's great. Silent and pushes lots of air

You gotta understand, in a thread like this where people are posting right and left and most people just skim through, most questions wont be caught. In order to catch someones eye, you have to put something catchy in it. For example... If you do a search on my handle (Him) you will notice I posted a thred entitled 'Do Not Read This'. I wanted EVERYONE to read that. If anyone sees that, you think they wouldnt read it? Curiousity kiled the cat.

mbwest said:
I did ask 3 questions and i got a pretty generic answer

Sorry man. I only caught one when looking through. A great utility to check temp is CPUCool. Pretty sure you can get it at www.download.com

Another thing worth cooling greatly is your GPU on your video card. That takes on a great load, and is definetely wise to cool that. Other than that, cooling anything else is pretty much optional at not really needed. However, more cooling is NEVER a bad thing. You can get some pretty cool chipset coolers. That is something that you would have to check some real good mod sites. www.coolerguys.com is a good one.

I'm not too sure about what your temp should be, I dont really have any experience with the new AMD 64's. From what I've seen before, anything below 100 is optimal. If you wanted some serious cooling, go with some water cooling. There are several threads on that, most by Nubius and myself.

I hope you find this to your expectations. Feel free to ask anythingmore you dont understand.

you can go either external or internal - external is going to be the cheaper route but internal seems to get the job done better from what I've heard.

Good to see you're still going old 'school with the NF7
haha you're kinda forced to when you're BROKE :p

Great looking setup. What clock do you have and how hot is 'she?
2.6GHz (200x13...was running 230 for a while, but a couple games crashed so I said screw it and just went for stability. I didn't notice a huge increase in performance in other programs with a higher FSB anyway) Hottest it gets is 45C, but at night I generally have the window open so it'll cool down to 40C or so at 1.9vcore

ACTUALLY Nubius, if you REALLY want to get into it, keeping it cooler does increase performance. Mind it, probably a not noticable difference, but a differnce nonetheless.

What happens when electronic components get hot? They expand and their resistance level goes up, therefore reducing the amount of trafiic available to go through the component. Bu when it cools down and the component shrinks, it's resistance level goes down with it. Therefore allowing more traffic through.

not to be a jerk, but I did have to correct you. Nubi.
Him - there is no correction to be made, because what you explained is not true. Yes components do expand when they get hot, but this does NOT effect performance in any measurable way. The only time it would effect performance is if it's so hot it's about to die.

Your CPU will not perform better at 10C compared to 60C no matter how much you think it will dude. Cooler temps benefit OC'ing and overall lifespan, they do not increase performance at all.

2.5GHz is 2.5GHz no matter what the temperature is. When it's running at that speed, like I said, even if it's 60C, a 10C 2.5GHz wouldn't 'let more traffic through' because there is no traffic to be let through it's the same clock speed unless of course that 60C is to the point of killing the processor in which it can't efficiently process.

The main point is, going from stock cooler to aftermarket and decreasing temps by even 20C isn't going to magically gain more performance simply by being cooler

Nubius said:
2.6GHz (200x13...was running 230 for a while, but a couple games crashed so I said screw it and just went for stability. I didn't notice a huge increase in performance in other programs with a higher FSB anyway) Hottest it gets is 45C, but at night I generally have the window open so it'll cool down to 40C or so at 1.9vcore

Still beats the crap out of my system... and boring 2500+->3x00+ overclock. Wow you are really pushing it with that 1.9v there.

You see people, Nubius has what we call in the business (if I had a business) "Mad Cooling".

Congrats on the 6k+ posts.:D

I find air cooling adequate for me, I am adding a fan today though just because. Anyways, if I can reliably overclock my 3.2 to roughly a 3.6ghz with nothing but two case fans and a stock CPU fan/heatsink, I don't figure I need anything else like watercooling or ten fans.

Nubius said:

Him - there is no correction to be made, because what you explained is not true. Yes components do expand when they get hot, but this does NOT effect performance in any measurable way. The only time it would effect performance is if it's so hot it's about to die.

Your CPU will not perform better at 10C compared to 60C no matter how much you think it will dude. Cooler temps benefit OC'ing and overall lifespan, they do not increase performance at all.

2.5GHz is 2.5GHz no matter what the temperature is. When it's running at that speed, like I said, even if it's 60C, a 10C 2.5GHz wouldn't 'let more traffic through' because there is no traffic to be let through it's the same clock speed unless of course that 60C is to the point of killing the processor in which it can't efficiently process.

The main point is, going from stock cooler to aftermarket and decreasing temps by even 20C isn't going to magically gain more performance simply by being cooler

You're right, my years of electronic theory and professors who taught it all to me are wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom