Do I need Thermal Compund?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That 'square of past' IS the thermal pad dude, and I assume by 'fan' you mean the actual heatsink itself.

You need to take that heatsink off, take all the crap off the bottom of the heatsink using 99% isopropyl alcohol and reseat it.

BTW: You just need a thin layer of compound on the chip itself, don't put it on both the chip and the heatsink.

No No. It wasn't a Pad at all. I think the pad is the black piece of foam right? Shoot. It looked like a thin film layer of grey on the bottom of the fan. I don't think it was a PAD of any sort. Maybe it was. Please help. If this was the pad and I do need to remove the fan thn will it come off easily? How do I go about it? Do i need to use isopropyl on both the top of the chip and the bottom of the fan? It has been set for more than 6 hours! Will it really do much harm if this is the case? The Antec Formula 5 stated to put it on the bottom of the fan and top of chip. Also I have 70% Isopropyl is this sufficient? I have used it already to clean the fingerprint off the top of my chip. HELP!

Bottom line, you need some kind of thermal paste or pad. Your processor will simply overheat without it. What kind you get is up to you.

If you didnt remove the paste from the heatsink you will need to remove the heatsink and wipe it off useing 99% isopropyl alcohol and do the same with the cpu heatspreader, dont get any one the pins -.- shouldnt hurt as long as it drys out, Then put a dot of AS5 onto the CPU heatspreader and spread AS5 out a little and set the Heatsink onto of the CPU, it will take around 200 hours for the thermal compound to work its best.

Ok first off dude, don't call it a fan..the fan is the part that spins that blows air...you mean heatsink right?

You're taking the word 'pad' completely wrong or something here.

On the bottom of your stock heatsink, a little grey or greenish square that feels waxy or rubbery, that's a thermal pad. You don't put on thermal compound if that's already on there.

Ok then it was a waxy filmy square not even a millimeter thick. I put the compund on top of the processor and on the "pad". I need to know now that I've done that and its set (over 7 hours) is it ok to leave that way? Or do I HAVE TO take off the fan and start over? If so would it be worth it? Will I do more bad than good? Because of the amount of time that has elapsed and compund has set will it do physical damage? If I do take it off then what do I do? Do I take isopropyl, (by the way I have 70% is that ok?), on the heatsink and top of chip?

Technically it takes AS5 200 hours to set, But i would take it off and clean it with 99% and put a small bb sized dot on the heat spreader and spread it out evenly... But i use 70% because its a dollar cheaper... rofl

Steps:
1. Wipe as much off as you can with 99%
2. Take a Credit Card or License and scrape off the wax pad being carefull not to scratch the Heatsink base.
3. Take the 99% again and wipe it off real good and make sure its nice and clean and dry.
4. Wipe off the CPU Heatspreader with 99% but dont soak it in 99%...
5. Apply one BB sized dot onto the Heatspreader of the CPU.
6. Spread the AS5 EVENLY on the Heatspreader with a plastic bag of sometype on your finger or with a latex glove on your hand.
7. Set the Heatsink onto the CPU and turn it just slightly to the right and slightly to the left.
8. Align it up in the correct postition and attach the clips.
9. Turn the computer on and let it run for 12 hours then shut it down and let it cool off for about an hour, and repeat till a 200 hour burn in is complete....

I usualy do step nine for my computers but its not needed.....

Hope that wasnt directed to me, my lord. :p
No peasant it wasn't....why would you even think that :rolleyes:

I need to know now that I've done that and its set (over 7 hours) is it ok to leave that way? Or do I HAVE TO take off the fan and start over?
It will raise your temps and not be as efficient that's for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom