Problem during SP2 Uninstall

Status
Not open for further replies.

mab

Beta member
Hello guys! I'm new here, and desperately need your help.
Yesterday , I wanted to install SP2 on my wifes PC and she didn't like it since , it took her forever to get into system and browse internet....but since problem is not in installation, but uninstalling it.
In a process of uninstalling - system froze, and while copying some files my wife (didn't ask me anything...now I'm sooo angry at her) pressed END NOW or something and it rebooted and now each time computer keeps rebooting after loading logo) Does not go any further.
Tried SAFE MODE , wouldn't work. Is there actually anything I can try to do to correct the problem?

Please let me know guys, I'll be patiently waiting for your answers.

Thanks a million!

Reinstall windows is your best bet. If you have files you need on there, go to a friends house and put your hard drive on their slave drive. Meaning that you need to take out ur HD and put it in a computer that has a Master (obviously) and SLAVE drive. It will say SLAVE on the long cable that's attached to the MASTER HD,

mab said:
she didn't like it since , it took her forever to get into system and browse internet....
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa...

Stop right there...

This isn't a fault of SP2. This is either an indication that A: Your computer sux, or B: You don't have it configured correctly, or C: Your install was bad.

There's very little that you can do with SP2 to noticeably slow-down browsing and log-on, aside from setting your security and DCOM so bloody high that the system doesn't even trust itself.

Anyway...Yeah, you've futzed it up. Don't be too mad, these things happen. That's why I nail my hands to the table when updating software, so I don't accidentally hit keys during the process.

Chances are, you won't be able to reinstall Windows with your disk, because your disk does not include SP2. Right? Right. So here's what you do. You said you could get into safe-mode, right? Okay, just use SM to copy all your important files to some place save (like another drive or partition). Then slop in the Windows CD and reboot. Use the CD's boot installation to reformat that partition and reinstall Windows.

Now, when you get Windows back up and updated, do NOT use any other source for SP2 besides the Microsoft website. You should be safer now for getting SP2 than before, because the demand for SP2 is less rampant now than it was when it came out. The servers don't choke as much, so less corruptions.

Enjoy. Let us know if you have further problems.

It is not really SP2's fault

If SP2 is installed on an bad installation of windows, this happens.

Also, when you end something while it's working with important system files, your screwed.

yeah i had a similar problem when reinstalling SP2 ( for troubleshooting) . if i say it you must trust me you cant get your system back if u dont want to backup you can boot from XP cd (like i did) and do a "repaire installation" it may work if it dont you will have 2 back up my documents and program files and reinstall without formatting

Thank you very much for replies guys!
I wish everything was so easy to do.
Tried almost whatever is possible , but no positive result :(
PC won't boot from any CD, Floppy.
It also won't let me get to BIOS SETTINGS. It's completely dead, doesn't want to accept anything I give it.

I wonder how do I just format it??? Or anything I can do to stop the stupid WIN LOGO appearing and restarting then getting back to it and no futher?

Please let me know guys, I still want some advises.

Thanks in advance!

you cant get into BIOS and u see windows logo?? can u make your self clear a bit here??

Yeap! That's exactly what I meant.
I said that first when computer reboots I see Toshiba Logo (it's a Laptop) then in some time Windows Logo and then it reboots.
Whenever I try to get into BIOS (when pressing DEL, it's just ignoring it, meaning it's doing all the above steps I have listed)

Yer pressing DELETE (or whatever key is suggested in the POST) BEFORE the Windows startup screen appears, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom