Changing from Win2000 to XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Forum

Solid State Member
Okay.

I have a MAJOR crisis on hand. I really MESSED up my computer and it can't start because of missing and corrupt files. It won't start, period. Not even F8 can help. And I don't have any start up floppy or CD.

So, I've decided to change from Win2000 to XP. By this weekend I'll buy a retail package of the XP Home edition.

But I want to keep most of my old files and documents from Win2000. Which button to press before I [re]install XP? And has anyone gone down this road before?

Bear in mind that I won't be starting the installation from a WORKING computer.

James Forum

How did you mess it up and what happens when you try to start the computer? Maybe somebody can help you.

Take out the hard drive and move it to a working machine. Backup all your data to that hard drive then put the hard drive back. Install windows XP, install your software, drivers, updates etc. Then go back to the machine you backed your data on. hook up the drive. REstore your data then return the drive.

I can uderstand what SHAWN and star_topology are saying; but remember I'm indeed a "virgin techie" and slaving a hard drive or taking out and putting back seem way over my head.

I'm willing, then, to lose the [precious] files on the computer as long as I can get XP install. Be reminded that in my original post I stated that F8 doesn't work because there are missing and corrupt files to start up Win2000.

So, can I install WinXP on a "dead" computer? (I mean a computer that will turn on but can't start up Win2000).

James Forum

Yes. Turn the machine on and boot off the CD. Go into your bios (pressing DEL or F2 while in the beginning) and check the settings to make sure that it is set to the CD-ROM to boot.

Where are you located.

Honestly, its not hard at all to take out a hard drive and put it onto a slave drive. Although, you have to make sure that the cable has a MASTER and a SLAVE cable, or else it won't be able to work. And yes, do what SHAWN said, that's a very good suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom