r520 core to boast 32 "pipeline" performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaara

Fully Optimized
We have confirmed the 24 pipelines rumors from several independant sources. However, these 24 pipelines are not comparable to 24 of today's pipelines - multiply by 1.3. So the 24 pipelines will have the performance of 32 "normal" pipelines.
The result of this is that the R520 will be two times as fast as the currently fastest X850s.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Cebit2005/Day4/5

Also goes into detail about ATi's SLI technology and how it differs from nVidia.

While NVIDIA SLI splits the screen into two parts and one GPU renders each half, ATI's solution breaks the screen into little squares.

Thanks gaara, sounds wicked :)

I'm just praying the next gen of cards, regardless of "ATI vs nVidia" now, are released on AGP, (preferably with 512mb of memory) :( I don't want to replace my Mobo unless I really have to...

DoomUK said:
Thanks gaara, sounds wicked :)

I'm just praying the next gen of cards, regardless of "ATI vs nVidia" now, are released on AGP, (preferably with 512mb of memory) :( I don't want to replace my Mobo unless I really have to...

Yeah...I hope so too

I will probably upgrade, most likely to the Nvidia card, unless Nvidia pulls another FX with its GeForce 7 series.

I bet they wind up will releasing a couple AGP versions. That card does indeed sound monsterous. I can't wait until whenever it is that there's another "Biggest leap in graphcis history" type arrival like there was going from FX series to 6xxx series.

I like ATI's SLI in that you don't need a physical bridge, that's pretty cool, but I wish they hadn't even gone SLI....I want to see SLI phase out damnit! :p

You know nvidia has to be hearing all this info though, so I wonder what kind of monster card they will be putting out next. You know they aren't just going to sit by while ATI makes this 24 pipeline "32 normal pipelines" card and do nothing about it.

Just when I get enough money to step up to a 6800GT it's going to feel all weak again lol.

Yeah, Nvidia will probably release a card with 32 high performance pipelines and blow ATI away once and for all. Much like they did to ATI with the X800 series.

Believe it or not, the X800 XT was originally only supposed to have 12 pipelines, but they knew that there would be no competition with Nvidia's 16-piped 6800 GT/Ultra, so thats why they added 4 more pipes to make the X800XT and sold the 12 pipe version as the X800 Pro.

I've been eyeing this closely, and am finding it IMPOSSIBLE to find ANY INFO on nVidia's next line of cards. I wonder what they'll sport. I hope they have WGF (DX10) support like the R520 does. I also wonder how well these will OC. This will be interesting.

All I've found on nvidia is that their new cores will be G70 and they dropped the NV48 and NV50 cores....so I hope it's something cool an uber secretive until it comes out.

NEW GEFORCE 7xxx SERIES! 64 PIPELINES, 500 million transistors using .05nm technology, COOLEST TEMPERATURE CARD ON THE MARKET! 512mb of GDDR4 MEMORY

:p

Either way, I'm excited about this. Hopefully nVidia will counter this with something equally mind boggling of their own. If my budget permits it, I'll be buying one of these new cards and keeping it for like 3 years, or I'll catch an awesome deal on a 6800 Ultra or x850XT cause they'll come crashing down in price.

I'm just kinda bummed they pushed the release date from May to late June, this means the price will be higher when I go to buy whatever card I decide on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom