user issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
connect to tha machine from a remote machine through the MMC... you will need to use the local machine admin account to do it, but that is all possible. anyway, load the group policy editor for the remote machine through the mmc and then remove all the policys that you have set. Then you can get back into the machine.

As win2kpatcher said, AD is the only way to enforce it... and allow you to do your job...
good luck and let us know if you have trouble...

ok, thanks alot guys i'll let you know how's it going. can't get a chance to work on it till tuesday reason being are the 2 public holidays.

good luck. I hope you can figure it out. Group policy is an absolutly amazing tool for controlling the way the OS works.
If you need help, pm me and I will send you my email address. we can talk there more if you want.

thanks alot guys. what i did was delete the original students account and recreate it, so i could start over. i made students the administator, make all the changes i wanted to make. tried restarting a playing around with it as a normal user, then i realsed that it was almost perfect.

so i change the user account type to limited, then went into admin tools, and made it a member of the guest group instead of the user group.

i can restart the computer and do almost anything, and it doesn't change any of the setting thats i made.

i took a screenshot, but the file is too big to post. however its still a work in progress, i need to add icons for firefox and office and that is almost it.

i realised that i have to have the start menu there, reason being how would i be able to log off. (access to task mrgr is disabled).

so i'm now fine with the start menu. the task bar is perfect, it can't be modified in anyway. the background cannot change.

here's where my happiness ends. i want to stop the students profile from accessing the local hard drive. with this new setting they can still modify files on the local hard drive.

access to cd rom is disabled(lovely), and they still have access to floppy and usb drives(which i really need to happen), but i don't want them to see whats on the hard drive much less anything else.

is there a way to do that??
i wish there was a way to thank you guys, especially inaris for the knowledge you guys gave me.

are you sure that the gpeditor is machine specfic?? the robotics profile seems to not have changed at all, with those changes i made with the student's profile.

well, it's supposed to be. I know that much...

To prevent changes to the local disc, remove permissions to it that aren't needed. Make them users, not power users, and then only allow changes from the Admin accounts on all folders except Program files and documents and settings. Those ones you don't want to mess with. The rest are not needed as far as changes go...
hope that helps.

how do i remove permissions to access the hard drive as u suggested??

i made the students guests, instead of users.

It's a folder level permission. You have to do it physically either at the machine or from a remote connection.
Control Select all the folders you want to change on the C drive, then right click one and select Security. You will get a prompt about different permissions, and select yes to set them all the same. Make sure that you only scecify the groups that you want to have permissions. Don't include everyone or authenticated users. Only allow Power users/Administrators, System and such to have access. That will block them from useing thos direcotries...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom