what is a good motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

yammer44

Solid State Member
i was wondering what is a reliable, good, but not too costly motherboard? any suggestions?

thanks ppl!:D

oh yeah, it is for a pentium 4 2.8ghz 800fsb

look for motherboards with the Intel 875 chipset.
unfortunately...for P4 motherboards, there seems to be no such thing as good, but not too costly...
the cheapest (non-refurbished) 875 motherboard on www.newegg.com is about $120

Oh, and avoid motherboards wholly built by Intel. they get bad reviews.

It's all about the AMD!!! I would suggest an Asus mobo.....very affordable AMD Socket A sets like the A7V8X-X and only $65 on newegg.com... an awesome price for a decent mobo

The ASUS P4C800 is really nice, but comes with a relatively small bundle considering the high price. Basically all i875 motherboards perform close to the same, so you can look at the bundles that come with each board to choose which one is best for you. Also check out Tom's Hardware Guide as I seem to recall them doing a review of all the most popular i875 mobos a while back.

Depends on what the PC's primary purpose would be, Gaming, Surfing the net, Word processing? AMD's run hotter but are cheaper whereas the Intels are more stable. I just don't mess with overclocking where lots of people do. Too time comsuming and frustrating for me. You'll be fine with either choice. Just don't go too cheap on your components. You'll save yourself alot of headaches. Good Luck:D

thanks ppl

i appreciate the help. i'm gonna go with the asus A7V8X-X i think.

cheers

i875 is just some flop the integrate electronics pple like to blab about. i865 work just fine without the PAT. Asus P4P800 Deluxe is fast and just suit the budget.

i would check out the msi 865pe neo2-fis2r it got a better review than all of the i875-based mobos, plus it has 4 ram slots (up to 4gb of pc3200 ddr), onboard sata, onboard gigabit nic, 5 pci slots, 8x agp slot, and 6 onboard usb 2.0 ports

http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20030707/index.html

here is a shootout of all of the new 865/875 boards (24 in all) and i would definately go with the p4 and its 800mhz fsb

thanks for the assistance.

i'm going with an athlon 2700+ and the asus A7V8X-X motherboard. it is a solid combo and, most importantly for me, it is cost effective.

thanks again everyone, yammer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom