Tempted to build new machine :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

langers

Baseband Member
I have the following situation,

I play games constantly... all the time... mainly FPS.

I have a self built p4 prescott 2.8 ghz, 1 gig ddr 333, some random motherboard and an ATI 9600 128....

This machine was my main machine but now I use it as a server, it has 3 hard disks and its been up for several months downloading stuff from the web and running various scripts for my computer games.

Now about 4-5 months ago I brought myself a Dell 9100 latitude laptop, 3.4 ghz p4, 1 gig ddr 400 ram, 256 meg M9800 ATI g card... now i play a lan party every other week which is why i went for a big old laptop and im now using this as my main machine..

Now being the gadget freak that I am I cant help but think that I should have kept my old laptop (was fine for the games I play at the LAN party) and built myself a new faster desktop.

I still owe £1500 ( i live in UK) for the laptop which Im going to have to pay off at some stage.

Ive benchmarked the laptop and I get about 3800 in 3dmark 2005, its a great machine dont get me wrong but I would love something that gave me 10k + :)

Im very technical in terms of networking and computers but im fairly out of touch when it comes to building machines..

If you had to construct a nice new machine what parts would you go for.... I dont want liquid cooling and all that crap.. im looking for a spec that I can go on the web and order the parts for less than say £1300 (not sure what that currently equats to in dollars)...

I look forward to your suggestions...... even if it includes keeping things as they are :)

To break 10000 in 3Dmark05, you are going to need the following:

CPU: FX-55
MOBO: Asus A8N-SLI or the DFI SLI mobo
RAM: 1GB of good quality, low latency RAM (Corsair, Kingston, Crucial...)
Vid Card: 2X 6800GT or 2X 6800U running in SLI
It would help if you could overclock the CPU and vid cards, too, but you shouldn't have to to get above 10000

hmm sounds hexpensive...

I might just overclock the laptop till it explodes and see what performance I can get out of it.

The get out of debt suggestion is a very good idea :)

Ive been doing some research on this particular lappy,

They reckon I can over clock the G card heavily before any heat issues become apparent.. I might goto a 420 / 420 clock mix and see what happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom