Voltage too high? What can I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I bring the comp into a computer shop you think they could test it for me and figure out the problem for sure? I made the computer myself but have limited knowledge beyond the very basics.

well my power supply thermaltake 480W, unless it is defective would it even be possible for what I have in my comp to tax it?
(athlon 3400+, asus a8v deluxe mobo, wd raptor 74 gb, radeon 9800 pro, 2 optical drives, floppy, 2 512 mb sticks crucial ram)

Also I know that there are 3 separate main clumps of cords coming out of the power supply other than the ones connecting to the mobo (and a SATA one which is unused because my SATA drive is powered by a regular 4 pin). I tried to distribute my components fairly evenly throughout those 3.
For e.g. on one I have my graphics card, floppy drive, and a ceiling case fan.
On another I have my harddrive as well as the front case intake fans and the case LEDs.
On the last one I have my two optical drives.

I am not sure if that is important or not but does everything look ok?

Ok I guess I can do that, as for the first time ever with the floor fan on the open case the computer still restarted (about an hour ago). It doesnt do it as frequently with the case open and a fan blowing on it, but it still does it. Do you guys have any advice as to a good reliable power supply? What about wattage? mine is at 480 so I presume I should get a bigger one...

Go with a 480W. Although you can never have too big of a power supply, 550W is a little excessive, and a little more money that you dont need to spend. Go with brand names like Antec, Thermaltake, OCZ, etc

well i already have a 480 thermaltake and was recommended to get a different one....could random reboots happen as the result of something else? Say it is not overheating and hot the PSU, could it be because of the motherboard or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom