Will formatting your HD eliminate Viruses/worms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
A friend of mine has the blaster worm. He dropped off his PC to me and I reformatted the HD and did a clean XP install. However, now when I try to install my virus software it won't let me update it. I'm using Norton, anyone have any ideas? The error from the Symantec help page said it is a rare problem that occurs from a trojan or worm. What the heck can I do?????

you should do a complete wipe of the hd which is much deeper than a xp format it clears the whole hd im not sure where to get it but there are a few programs to do it for you that make a bootable floopy disk and wipe it clean i think it takes a few hours normally though=/ i know u can get the one for maxtors off the maxtor site but someone here should know the name of a general one:)

yes but what u should do is dl a program that makes a bootdisk that COMPLEATLY wipes the drive to make sure there are no traces of a virus or anything. like i said im not sure what they are called but hopefully someone will post one to help you:)

the differance is that a quick format just delete everything and a full format or one like im talking wipes the hd a few times and makes sure it is just like you just bought it, sometimes better.

Thanks Charbo, anyone able to recommend a format program in case the "standard" non-quick wipe doesn't do the trick?

download and use a utility supplied by the HD manufacture and write zero's to the drive .Use the complete fill .

Killdisk writes zeros to the drive. That will definitely get rid of any viruses. The XP format should do it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom