Sound Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMT

In Runtime
Hi!

Recently a problem has cropt up with my sound. I'm not sure why, and I'm not sure how. I'd just like to know how to solve it, since it's a bit annoying.

Whenever I'm reading/transferring data from my CD drive it interferes with my audio. This includes playing a CD-DA as well. The interference sounds like little cuts in the sound, and it also seems to be in synchronisation with the CD drive read-light.

My thoughts are that it may be some kind of IRQ interference, but why would my CD drive and/or sound card all-of-a-sudden use a different IRQ? I'm not sure about it...

Anyway, does anyone know any ways of fixing this?

Thanks.
TMT.

You can't really solve this problem. MANY MANY people have this problem and there is no real solution for it. The best i can come up with is to mute CD audio in windows PLAYBACK mixer.

VolumeMixer.bmp

Mute CD Audio. This wont affect cd playback as windows media and all other players use the Wave section... why? Because MS sucks.

This should solve your problem. If not, then try reseating the sound card and all your cables. It could also be an IRQ conflict as you said, which is barely possible to solve as well. You could change the PCI slot that your soundcard is in, unless its onboard (OMG! dont get me started on onboard)... then your stuck.

It's not just CD-Audio (CD-DA), though. It's any type of data activity of the CD drive that distorts the sound.

Thanks.
TMT.

Well, it was the transfer mode as I suspected.

I did a format, and all is resolved. I'm now transferring in DMA mode and sound interference/sluggish transfer rates have gone. It must have been some kind of software fault with Windows. For some reason it was locking the drive in PIO Mode.

If anybody knows how to force DMA without formatting, that would be great... Especially for others facing this problem, considering doing the big format.

Thanks.
TMT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom