What do you use to cool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i like to keep things quiet so i have a rear 120mm antec fan with speed control (it moves a lot of air) and a 120mm antec psu fan right above it

Nubius said:
It will extend computer life, but no it doesn't enhance performance. But if you're going to overclock which DOES enhance performance then you'd need to keep it cool

how much does it cost to step up nubius?

I suppose I shoould be more specific.........

2 in the front to cool my hard drives

1 in my side pannel....intake

1 rear...out take

1 in my psu

1 on my cpu of course

and 1 on my gfx card

DJ-CHRIS said:
One of them a 120mm Panasonic Panaflo fan
How's that working out for you? Is it really that quiet? I've heard a lot about those but no first-hand experiences. Let me know. (I'm in the market for a 120.. :))

Originally posted by Nubius
Probably gonna look to piecing my own water cooling setup here in a couple weeks...
I hope you get a new case. If I remember correctly yours has so many fans theres probably less material than there is fans. :D

i have 6 in my case, plus 1 cpu, 1 gpu, 2 psu = 10 total fans. one BIG zalman 7700cu keeps my prescott cool (see sig for details), my case has 2 80mm fans in the front, 1 80mm on the side, 1 80mm on the top, and 2 80mm out the back. my case temp is 35c on average, my room's temp is 25c

Yes, it does increase performance,
Performance and stability are two different things. Keeping it cool does NOT increase performance. A CPU at 2.5GHz and 50C isn't going to run any worse than a CPU at 2.5GHz and 10C, the 10C will obviously allow for higher overclocks.

how much does it cost to step up nubius?
What? I mentioned nothing of step up in this thread, you mean the eVGA step up or what? You pay the difference of your card and the new one.

I hope you get a new case. If I remember correctly yours has so many fans theres probably less material than there is fans.
No you're thinking of my previous midtower case with like 13 fans, this one:

Picture.jpg

Even if I were in that case, obviously if I was going to water cooling I wouldn't leave in all those fans and wired mess.

This is my latest case I got a couple months ago:

internal.jpg
As you can tell there's quite a bit of room between the motherboard and HD's and whatnot. This is a full tower vs the previous being a mid.

EDIT: BTW Currently I have:

1: CPU Fan
2 in the PSU
2 in the front
2 on the side
1 on the back
1 in the front for the HD's
And 2 for my makeshift PCI slot cooler for a total of

11 fans, but if you want to get technical and count a GPU fan (which is kind of pointless, as well as the PSU fan since they aren't really case or system fans) then it's 12.

People just want to include PSU and graphics cards to boost their fan count lol

Hell if you want to get REAL technical I have a small graphics card fan spinning above my ESC key on my keyboard haha. I 'modded' it a long time ago when I was first attempting mods. Spins quit nicely :D

I made sure for my new AMD rig that it was going to be super quiet. I don't like how loud my main computer is. My new computer is very quiet, it only make a very low whoosing noise and only if you listen for it, so keeping that in mind...

Case: Maxtop Signature Series TypeII Midtower

2 92mm exhaust fans in the power supply (thermaltake Silent PurePower)
1 80mm intake fan on the video card (Powercolor X800 XL)
1 80mm intake fan in the front of the case (blue led thermaltake thunderblade)
1 92mm exhaust fan on the top of the case (globe fan)
1 92mm intake fan on the side of the case (globe fan)
1 120mm exhaust on the back of the case (blue led thermaltake thunderblade)
1 120mm intake CPU fan (Zalman 7700-Cu, Arctic Silver 5 Compound)

Total of: 8 fans

System specs are as follows:

Gigabyte K8NF-9 Nforce4 4X
AMD Athlon64 3000+ Winchester
2X 80GB Western Digital SATA Caviar SE 7,200 rpm
Lite-On DVD-ROM
Lite-On CD+/-RW Burner
Sony Floppy
Powercolor RADEON X800 XL PCI-E
ThermalTake 680W Silent PurePower with 3 +12V rails
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1

Everything running at stock, these are the temps (after AS5 is broken in pretty well now):

Idle: 21C
Load (Prime 95 small FFTs, 100% CPU usage, after 2 hours): 28C

So yea considering the cooling is all air and everything was pretty inexpensive I think it's pretty sick. :D

Nubius said:
No you're thinking of my previous midtower case with like 13 fans...

This is my latest case I got a couple months ago:

internal.jpg
As you can tell there's quite a bit of room between the motherboard and HD's and whatnot. This is a full tower vs the previous being a mid.

Ok you were scareing me there for a second.
Good to see you're still going old 'school with the NF7 :D

Great looking setup. What clock do you have and how hot is 'she?

Performance and stability are two different things. Keeping it cool does NOT increase performance. A CPU at 2.5GHz and 50C isn't going to run any worse than a CPU at 2.5GHz and 10C, the 10C will obviously allow for higher overclocks.

Yea, your right.....I was being more technical or w/e you want to call it.....I always over think things or I under think them......ah well.....

4 80mm case fans (2x frount, 1x sidepanel 1x rear) and a akasa ak859 which according to uguru is running at 12*C.

The one im on now, 1 40mm heatsink fan, and a psu fan, along with a huge layer of dust collected from 6 years of use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom