Athlon xp 2500+ cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeh the thermal paste only brought the cpu down like 4 degrees or something, im going 2 buy a Voalcano 11+ soon, so that should cool things down a bit.... I didnt buy Artic Silver thermal paste, i bought some cheapo one lol, how much is artic silver in Australian dollars?

haha rofl your right i am a cheapass i admit it, but if i actually found Artic silver 5 then i would of bought it, but they didnt so i didnt :D
Also, If i add a volcano 11+ (now looking at upgrading to a Volcano 12), will i be able to o/c it more?
Because the most i can get my Athlon xp 2500+ to is 2.18ghz, and i cant hit the 2.2 mark!! :mad:.
Will the volcano 11+ or 12 make this happen?

naa, hsf won't change it, it'll keep it cool though, also.. you may wanna start looking into changing the voltage on the chip.. if it's not getting enough power it'll lag out and not use it's full setting =) risky risky...
i'm keeping my 2500 at o/c at 1.9 right now, i just changed the fsb to 400 and uped it a few mhz, stable at 50c with stock hsf, check out the slk-900 i think, also i heard the tornado fan would work well witht that heatsink, although loud, i think you could get that 2500 to a possible 2.4g (with correct settings)@50c-55c wow!

Yeah cool
So what items would you recommend me getting if i wanted to try to o/c my xp 2500 to a 2.4ghz? (lol do you think i could push it to 2.6?), or is that just going too far?

I have read many articles that say amd does not ship adequeate cooling fans with there high end CPU,s. maybe you should get a better fan.

Amd Retail heatsinks come with a lame thermal pad which dosnt displace the heat that well as i found when i installed my 2500+ it ran at 75c! :S .Id advise you to apply some thermal grease, only a little though and that should do the trick i think. I know youve overclocked and that but a small amount of thermal grease should work, if not id get a new heat sink and fan. And replace it with something more beefy :)

at 2.4 with 1.850v it's probably 90% stable... which is still really good, unfortunate due to the fact that i can't push it further because i can't change the voltage (grrr) but it's ok.. it'll be alright.. won't it?

Vertx,
I have got rid of the thermal pad already and put some thermal grease on but it's still running at like 56 degrees celcius IDLE and like 61 when im playing games :S I dont think this is really right... Im going to get a new HSF probably a Thermaltake Volcano 12 should do the trick ;). Would this be ok?

hey syphanx, although it's the first HSF i've gotten, i have a volcano 12, check out my specs, i'm running idle at 48C, and games are hitting about 52C-53C... now I have the fan on high while gaming to keep it cool, but definatly turned down while i'm typing this... keeping the fan at about 3500 is nice and it'll idle around 50C, check into it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom