How do you know if a stick of ram is compatable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome. Glad to hear! There are a few brands out there. What would you say is the best/most popular?

EricB said:
there a lot of misconception of ram. people will tell you that a 1 gig of 2100 is junk. bullship. a gig of 3200 ram is barely faster.

on this forum, they will have you think that 1 gig of 2100 is equal to 512 of 3200. that is bull. if you can get it for a cheap price, get it.

Ugh your completly wrong

Even switching my parents PC from 2700 to 3200 I can notice a difference in windows

Their ram kingston PC 2700 cheap ram at 2.5 3 3 7

I put it up to 3 3 3 8 and now it runs at 3200 speeds :p 100% stable

it's faster of course, but around here people will make you think that it's twice as fast. that just not so.

I can understand getting 3200 for upgrade purposes.

I use to think that it was twice as fast from listening to you guys, But I got my hands on 2 one gig sticks of 2100 ram for free bacaue the guy was upgrading. I was thinking from listening to you guys, that this ram was equal to my 512 pc3200 ram in dual channel mode. Wrong

I put 1 stick in my machine and the 1 gig of 2100 on regular mode ran circles around my 2 x 256 ram in dual channel mode. I probably got a 40 to 45 percent increase.

when I say barely faster I mean anywhere from a 10 to 20, maybe 25 percent increase in speed. I learn a lot of new things on this forum, but like I said

I was under the impression that 512 3200 stick was equal to a gig of 2100 because you guy make claims to a huge increase.

some other people might make this assumption too. I was just clarifying the matter.

RAM speed must at least match the FSB/HTT speed of your CPU or it will bottleneck performance. For example, you can shove PC2100 in an Athlon 64, but your FSB will be limited to 133MHz when it is supposed to run at 200MHz. In terms of a 3200+

200 x 10 = 2000MHz
133 x 10 = 1333MHz

Big difference eh?

gaara said:
RAM speed must at least match the FSB/HTT speed of your CPU or it will bottleneck performance. For example, you can shove PC2100 in an Athlon 64, but your FSB will be limited to 133MHz when it is supposed to run at 200MHz. In terms of a 3200+

200 x 10 = 2000MHz
133 x 10 = 1333MHz

Big difference eh?

Well, I guess you do have a point. the computer that I'm talking bout had an AMD 2000 processor (FSB 133). i didn't think about that

My bad, guys. I'm shutting up.

your FSB is 800MHZ, it supports high RAM speeds
I would personally get a gig of Kingmax PC3500 RAM
That 800 is an overall bus coming from his system being 200x4

Look at his CPU shots dude. He needs PC3200 for his system to be running 1:1 otherwise he'd need to overclock his FSB which with good PC3200 he could do that anyway. If he got PC3500 he'd just be creating yet another bottleneck.

Mr. Tech - Stick with getting some good PC3200

If you want top knotch OC'ing brands let me know and I can point you in the right direction. If you don't want to OC at all then get valueRAM.

But for value and OC'ability you can't go wrong with these:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=20-218-062&depa=1

Mind you to get real high FSB's you'd need quite a bit of voltage. No doubt your board probably maxes out at 2.9v dimm, but they will still overclock. To see really high FSB's and low timings you'd need 3.2v+ ;)

Thanks,

Great website you gave there but they don't ship tp australia... Does anyone know of a well priced website that ships to australia?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom