My boot time is only hmm...2 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunnymanboy

In Runtime
I have a big problem here, my boot time to get to desktop is two minutes! Windows displays "Windows is starting up..." for about a minute in a half! It hangs at WINDOWS IS STARTING UP. I have windows XP. The message appears right before the login icons come in.

2 minutes isn't the end of the world, though I boot under 30 seconds. ;)

Anyhoo, disable unneeded services and applications at start-up through msconfig. Clearing your pre-fetch folder of things 2 weeks or older is good to do also. Also if you have alot of programs set to load in the sys tray at startup that will slow your boot times as well. Obviously leave your anti-virus and fire wall intact at startup. ;)

BTW: The loading is more of a hang, it does it before I get into desktop. When I click on my user name it loads pretty fast into a useable desktop.

Yes, try BootVIS. Use the option in the menu's called "Optimize boot" or something. You could also re-install the graphics card drivers and see if it helps.

Go into msconfig, disable useless stuff that runs on startup, disable useless processes, scan for adware, scan for virii, delete old files, delete files in c:\windows\prefetch, defragment, update drivers. If all those doesnt fix your problem re-install windows.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom