Creating a second partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

In Runtime
I currently have the standard 'C' Drive partition on my 80GB WD Hard Disk. My question: Is it safe to create another partition after the 'C' without backing up the data first? Everyone recommends backing up the data, but is it really neccessary or are they just covering themselves? I currently have approximately 20GB of data on the Hard Disk and would prefer not to have to go through backing it all up. The program which I will be using to create the partition will be PowerQuest Partition Magic 8.0. I would especially like to hear views from those with experience of partitioning.

Thanks,

Retro.

I've done loads of partitioning, and I've never come accross any data loss at all when using PartitionMagic 8.0. However, I'd still say back up all your important data because there is always a chance that something could go wrong! I back up every time.

It's just standard practice to backup before doing ANYTHING major to a HDD. This comes from years and years and years of experience from thousands of people.

Don't bunk the precautions you can use. If you think it's a hassel to backup now, imagine what it will be like if you lose it all with no backup!

Besides, if you've used 20gb, that doesn't mean you need to backup all 20gb. Just grab your important files, music, address-book, favorites, etc. No need to save 20gb worth of applicaiton data and Windows install files.

zimon said:
ps: nice avatar

Yeh thanks, I've had it for ages now. Come to think of it, I should really get round to creating another one hehe.

Ok, it looks like I should back up all my important data then before partitioning. Thanks for your advice everyone,

Retro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom