Deleting a partician

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBennett

Banned
Somehow I have created two particians on my computer.

Currently all my settings and programs are on the D drive but the C drive is there as well with some crap on it.

if I were to delete a partician would that give me more hard drive space??

To me, the C drive is useless (unless the computer needs it for some reason that I may not be aware of) and I am looking to free up some space..

Any advice??

You have made a bit of a mess there I think. Your hard drives are labelled starting at C. If all your programs are on D, then when you delete C, D becomes C, oh dear...

Also the letter of your CD drive will change, causing further problems.

I've done this before, and you may as well reinstall Windows unless you have something to remap drive letters, like PartitionMagic, because Windows won't like you changing drive letters.

If you delete one of the partitions, then that space will be available to the other partition, but first you will have to give it that space by extending the partition.

Thanks! It does sound like I have caused a bit of a problem.. If I were to just go in and delete a partician will that screw up my drive letters?

How are you going to delete the partition? In Windows, or using another program?

In windows.. I don't know any other way.. In fact, I have never done it this way but I remember seeing the option when I installed windows xp

Well if Windows is installed on the partition that you are trying to delete, then it won't let you. But if you're deleting the partition with crap on it then unless any of the data is in use, it will let you delete it. The best thing to do is have a go and see what happens. :D

I think windows is installed on the partician. For a while I was getting a screen that asked which OS I wanted to log into at startup.

I removed this in the start up options by changing the setting for the ammount of time to list operating systems so I don't get the message on start up but it's still there..

Does this mean I won't be able to delete the partician??

I haven't tried.. mostly out of fear that I will lose everything.. but the computer is telling me that I running low on disk space so I have to do something..

OK the best thing to do is back up all your important data and reinstall Windows, creating only one partition taking up the entire drive when you install it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom