Which motherboard???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elbatrop1

Memberbot
I was gonna be building a BUDGET computer for someone, that has a decent amount of room for expandability.

I wanted to build an AMD system, using socket 754. I was gonna use a Sempron chip (same socket of course).

I was looking at the ASUS K8V-X motherboard because it supports Semprons and Athlon 64s.

What do you guys think? Is there any other budget boards ($100CAD) you guys like that supports Semprons and Athlon 64s?

build a 2.4ghz celeron D ($80) and put it in a Biostar U8668D($50)
prices are from newegg. Built 100's of these, solid setups!

If yer building a budget PC, I'd just go with a top-end 32bit CPU, which will cut down costs all over the place and provide comparable performance.

build a 2.4ghz celeron D ($80) and put it in a Biostar U8668D($50)
prices are from newegg. Built 100's of these, solid setups!

I was kinda thinking of building an Intel, but AMD looks like it'll be a little cheaper and more upgradeable. Plus, unfortuneately, I can't get stuff from newegg (they dont ship to Canada).

If yer building a budget PC, I'd just go with a top-end 32bit CPU, which will cut down costs all over the place and provide comparable performance.

Good point, regular Athlons aren't too expensive.

Anyone have any experiences with the ASUS K8V-X? Or any suggestions for a CPU?

I also like my ASUS motherboard. That's why I picked the K8V-X in the first place:) It doesn't seem like anyone has owned one of these, from the reviews I have been reading, they seem pretty good.

Thanks for the input anyways. If you guys have any more suggestions, please post!

What will you be doing on this computer? So we can take that in consideration. Oh yeah, dont get a celeron yo.

It's gonna be for email, web browsing, and word processing, BUT I would like it to be upgradeable to a gaming computer. I actually did some more reading since my last post in this thread.

AMD
Sempron 2800+ SKT 754
ASUS K8S-MX
Kingston PC3200 256MB CAS3
On Board Video
Western Digital 80GB 8MB
LG 52X32X52X
NEC ACCUSYNC AS70 17"

Intel
Intel Celeron D 2.4GHz 533FSB
ASUS P4P800-VM
Kingston PC3200 256MB CAS3
On Board Video
Western Digital 80GB 8MB
LG 52X32X52X
NEC ACCUSYNC AS70 17"

The Intel machine ended up being like $30 more (local computer shops).

The stuff I choose is upgradeable to a decent gaming comp because of the support of high-end processors, and the open AGP slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom