HDD Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freeman420

Baseband Member
I'm looking to buy a new SATA Hard Drive for under $100. I'm just looking for some opinions on what is the best bang for your buck hard drive and from where. As always all opinions are valued. :D

Go for that 120Gb one that Uzi posted, i can't see any better offers on newegg and Seagate do make thev best drives :)

If you want super fast access times then take a look at the Western Digital Raptor, the only none SCSI drive to run at 10,000rpm.

Its currently very small, largest is 74Gb and that one is a bit expensive, the 36Gb model isn't too bad and nothing gets you into Half Life2 or Doom3 quciker.

Depends if your looking for that sort of performance though.

Just my two cents in case you ever need a games HDD.

If you want super fast access times then take a look at the Western Digital Raptor, the only none SCSI drive to run at 10,000rpm.

Its currently very small, largest is 74Gb and that one is a bit expensive, the 36Gb model isn't too bad and nothing gets you into Half Life2 or Doom3 quciker.

Im using the 10k 74g raptor, and you really do notice the difference :) I've just got the raptor in at the moment, but I will prob buy a 120gig later on for more storage, and have the 10k raptor for games and other more important programs.

Catbert said:

The poster of this tread wants something under $100, But the WD raptors are good. But if i had that kind of money to spend I would get a SCSI raid setup

I still say this is the absolutely best deal for hard drives.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-135-106&depa=1

I have two of these on RAID 0 and they run brilliantly. They are so very quiet I can't even hear them. And they load maps almost instantly and install things crazy fast.
Definitely the best bang for your buck if you get just one. But if you want to go a tad over your budget and get 2 of them in RAID 0 it will be so much better. RAID 0 is simply so fast, I don't think I could go back to a single hard drive. If you had 2 of these on RAID 0 your total storage would be about 149GB after conversion to computer gigabytes.

Also I have tested on sisoft and I compared it to the hard drive in my sig. For less money than one raptor two of these in RAID 0 will outperform it in most tests, plus has way more storage.

Or if you are the paranoid type you could also RAID 1 them so that you don't have to worry about losing all your files.

edit: Oh and the deal is even better now! I had to pay $5 shipping for each, now it's free. So if you got two of them it would only be $116!!!!! Great deal!!! :D

edit #2: In case you were looking at the seagate and wondering about why this one says Serial ATA and the seagate says SATA150. Well don't worry I checked out the specs on this hard drive and indeed it has the latest SATA 150 technology so it is just as fast. Don't be fooled into thinking the seagate is better cause it says "20% improvement bla bla bla". It is just the same as the western digital except it has a very SLIGHTLY faster seek time. 8.5ms compared to 8.9ms.

I'm gonna have to go with dale's 80GB WD. $57 vs $89 for much better price-performance ratio. 80GB is plenty, I run a 36GB and only use half of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom