Accessing Restricted Files in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

In Runtime
Ok, basically i need a way of accessing the admin desktop when i dont have the authority to. Because im not in the admin user account every time i try to click on the folder under "Documents and Settings" it tells me that my access is denied.
Here's the story of how i got stuck in this mess, ill try to keep it short.

My computer is in 2 partitions, shall we say A and B. A has windows xp installed and B is used for backups. The windows on partition A stuffed up, and i couldn't boot the computer. So using the cd i installed windows on partition B.
Now i can start the computer and login. I have done this in the past to move files out of A and onto B. Once i have moved the files i format A, and reinstall windows on it again. I then move the files back off B onto A and format B because it still has the second copy of windows.

But this time around i forgot that i had made myself an admin account. Because of that i cant access the files on the admin account on partition A because i am currently in the windows that is running on partition B.

When i start the windows that is installed on partition A it tells me that it doesn't work and would i like to start in safe mode, last known good configuration, normal startup....etc. But none of those work. I cant even repair it using the windows xp cd.

Ill be quite surprised if anyone actually managed to follow that. Suffice to say i cant get to the logon screen to login to windows with the admin account because that windows is stuffed. I can get onto the computer using a second copy of windows on a different partition. But then i cant get access to the files on the admin desktop, all i want to do is get them out of there so i can get them backed up.

If anyone can help i would be VERY appreciative, i dont want to have to lose all my documents, pictures, movies, programs...
:(

put the hard drive in another xp machine. right click documents and settings>>properties>>security tab>>advanced>>Owner

take over the folder then apply.

you must be the administrator on the other machine

You'll have the authority to if you want me to send you a password reset disk...if you do, pm me with your email address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom