Dual PCI-E motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

shred444

Beta member
hey im new to the forum and new to building computers,

im looking to build a monster computer to handle 3d rendering and video editing. i want to have 3-4 monitors on this, right now im using a dual monitor setup with my laptop.

lets say i get a motherboard with agp and pci-express. can i buy an agp video card with dual monitor capability and a pciE card with dual capability, and hook up 4 monitors that way?

or do i need to find a mobo with 2 pciE slots to have identical cards running 4 monitors.

do they even make mobos with 2pciE?

any suggestions?

Thanks.

if you want to do 3d rendering and video editing, you don't need SLI or pci-express

you'll need one of those high end workstation AGP cards

you can get high end video cards that support more than 2 monitors ... you're lookin at spendin big bucks though

Based on the fact that he's aiming for 4 monitors, I think it's safe to say he has big bucks to spend.

My knowledge is limited when it comes to this sort of thing, however I have a friend who is a professional Auto CAD designer and he uses this video card and says it's the best you can get. (I'm pretty sure that's the one he's got)

you can't buy motherboards with dual AGP, but you can get dual PCI-E 16x slots
if you're rendering all the tie, I would suggest a dual Nvidia 6600 or 6800 setup, but not in SLI if you want 4 monitors

u could still use dual 6800 utras or something for rendering couldnt you? and you can hook 4 moniters up in sli because my friends and i had a "lan party" at my house and i had 4 moniters hooked up i really dont see what the point of that is lol but yeah either a quadro should work or i dont see why dual ultras in sli wouldnt and then you have the 4 moniter connectors u want. =/

u could still use dual 6800 utras or something for rendering couldnt you?
Yeah I suppose it could, but the drivers, and how the cards architecture work isn't at all designed for that kind of rendering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom