Windows 64 bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

dale5605

Daemon Poster
Just wanted to say that I got windows 64 bit up and running on my AMD system with no problems at all and it's my primary OS. I don't have windows 32 bit on another partition or anything.
Anyone else running 64 bit?

It works so well. I got the beta ATI drivers, beta sound blaster drivers for my sound card, and everything is working flawlessly. I also installed all of the beta Nforce4 chipset drivers.

The OS seems pretty sweet, can't wait for the final release.
:p

You know where i could find drivers for my k8n neo-fsr board and for my powercolor radeon 9200se? I cant seem to find any for either part...

Yeah, we do need a thread for x64 bit drivers. I installed XP64 and I couldn't get my hardware to work.

I installed XP64 as well, and the only thing that wont work are printer drivers

I was like hrm, the parents PC on the network doesnt have the drivers on it, hrm. Than i go download drivers off the HP website. Than it says Critical Error, your f*cked basicly.

Than I reliase im 64bit.

And yeah, their is one 64 bit game, and HL2 and Farcry are being ported to 64bit as we speak.

Is the release version of 64-bit windows free for current owners of XP pro??. I am hearing mixed responses - but most think it will be basically free. Anyone know of a conclusive source?

I got mine free from Microsoft. If you are referring to the final release being free I'm not sure about that. I don't know of any 64 bit games out right now, I'm just playing regular 32 bit games on it for now. I was reading through the complete list of drivers that come with xp 64 bit and they have something like 3000 printer drivers. I know they have my driver, I'm surprised yours isn't there. They have almost every printer driver available it seems like.

As for the ATI drivers, I had a problem with my vid card also. You see the beta 64 bit drivers only detect a certain number of ATI cards, the main ones. They won't pick up your card if you have something weird like an SE version. Mine is an x800 xl and it wasn't picked up. There is a workaround though and it worked for me.
Basically I did this:
1. Downloaded the Beta 4 64 bit catalyst drivers from ATI's website
2. Ran the installation file.
3. While installing the display driver it will display the error about inf file missing or whatever, click OK and allow the installation to continue.
4. Let it install the catalyst control panel.
5. Go into your device manager and under "Display adapters" you should see your unrecognized vga video card entry with and exclamation point next to it.
6. Right click on that and select "Properties"
7. Click on the "Details" tab and in the combo box select "Compatible IDs"
8. There should now be a list of IDs, copy down onto paper the
first two lines.
9. Ok now the tricky part :) : Head into your C drive (or whatever drive you are using) and open up the ATI folder that should be right there alongside your program files and Windows folder and all that stuff.
10. Now that you are in the ATI folder go into the support folder and then into the next folder (something like wxp64......long name....), then into the "Driver" folder, then into the folder named "XP64A_INF"
11. Then open the notepad document called something similar to what mine was called which was "CA_19475"
12. Go down to the section that lists all the video card names.
13. Find whatever series your vid card is, for my example I went to the lines starting with "RADEON X800 series"
14. At the part where it says PCI\VEN_1002 (the first line) replace this with the first line you wrote down off of the device manager. Then replace the remaining lines with the 2nd line you copied down including the secondary part if you want to use two monitors or something. Now save the document and close it.
15. Phew that was tough, ok now back to the easy stuff. Go back to your device manager to the same spot I designated earlier.
16. Right click on your vid card again, if you want click "uninstall" to uninstall the driver. Don't remove your ATI control panel though, as you will probably want this to change some of your graphics settings. But a 3rd party program might also do the trick.
17. Now right click again and this time select "Update Driver"
18. Allow it to connect to windows update and choose to install from a specific location.
19. On the next screen choose "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install." Click next to move on.
20. Select your video card in the box and click on the "Have Disk" button.
21. Then click browse in the box that opens up.
22. A new box opens up, navigate to the notepad document that we edited earlier and select it.
23. Click open and click next and complete the installation and you're done! (hopefully) :D

@Chog
here are the 64 bit drivers for your motherboard

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp64_6.25

Good luck in moving to the 64 bit future everybody. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom