About Intel® Pentium® M Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForumWizardry

Beta member
Hi everyone,

Actually I am going to buy a notebook computer and someone told me that Pentium M twice as fast as Pentium 4. Is that really true? Also, the top speed of Pentium M is 2.13GHz presently and i am going to buy a laptop of 1.73GHz. Is this fast enough to keep up with the improving technology? cuz i dont want to buy laptop again 3 yrs later.

By the way, i may show u the specification of the laptop. Give me some comments
Take a look on the graphic card cuz sometimes i will play game with it.

Microprocessor
Intel® Centrino™ Mobile Technology
Intel® Pentium® M Processor 740(1.73GHz)*1
- Supports Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology

Chipset
Intel® 915PM Chipset

Processor System Bus
533MHz

Memory Bus
400MHz

Cache Memory
L1 Cache: 64KB L2 Cache: 2MB (on CPU)

Main Memory
512MB DDR2 SDRAM*2 (upgradeable up to 2GB)*3(partially shared with video memory)*4 2 SO-DIMM slots (The pre-installed memory module uses one)

Hard Disk
60GB (C: 15GB, D: 45GB) Serial ATA, 5400 rpm

Optical Drive
DVD±RW Drive*5
Maximum reading speed: DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD+R DL(Double Layer): 4x
DVD-ROM: 8x
CD-RW: 12x
CD-R, CD-ROM: 24x
Maximum writing speed: DVD+R, DVD+RW: 2.4x
DVD-R, DVD-RW: 2x
CD-RW: 10x
CD-R: 24x

Graphics Accelerator
•Dual display compatible •3D graphics acceleration compatible
•NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 6200 with TurboCache™*4 (PCI Express x16 connection)

Video Memory
128MB*4

Display
13.3" Wide (WXGA: 1280 x 800) TFT colour display (Clear Bright LCD : Single Lamp)

Interfaces
•USB 2.0 x 2*6 •i.LINK (IEEE 1394) S400 (4pin) •Network (RJ-45) connector (100BASE-TX/10BASE-T) •Headphone jack (stereo mini) •Microphone jack (stereo mini) •Monitor connector (VGA, D-SUB 15 pin) •Modular (RJ-11) connector •Port Replicator connector •Memory Stick Slot*7 (Standard/Duo Size compatible, Memory Stick PRO compatible, High-speed data transfer compatible*8)

Wireless LAN
•Integrated Wireless LAN IEEE 802.11b/802.11g*9 •Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection •Data rate: maximum 11 Mbps (802.11b) 54Mbps (802.11g)*10 •Frequency: 2.4 GHz

Bluetooth®
•Bluetooth® standard version 1.2 •Data rate: maximum 723kbps*10 •Output: maximum +6dBm •Frequency: 2.4 GHz

Modem
V.92 and V.90 Compliant

PC Card Slot
Type I/II x 1, CardBus Support

Audio
•Intel® High Definition Audio compatible • 3D audio (Direct Sound 3D support) •Built-in stereo speakers

Keyboard / Input Device
•ca 18mm Key pitch / ca 2mm Key stroke •82 Keys •Intelligent Touchpad

Battery
VGP-BPS2*11 Lithium-ion battery: up tp 3.5 hours use*12

Dimensions (W x H x D)
312.5 x 29.9-35.4 x 224.8mm

Weight
1.95kg (including the supplied battery)

Supplied Accessories
•AC adapter (VGP-AC19V10) •Lithium-ion battery (VGP-BPS2)

Thanks very much

what kind of games are u gonna play on it?

also, how much does this laptop cost (i was wondering)

Pentium M's are not faster than Pentium 4's, they are designed purely to be fast-ish while using very little battery power

personally I would suggest an Athlon 64, as they are faster than Pentium 4's in a lot of cases, and use less power too.
if you're going to game a bit, I would suggest at least a Geforce Go 5200 video card, up to a mobility Radeon 9700

prices

I m trying to play newly game smoothly. i mean i want to play most of the present top games , also the upcoming ones.

About the prices. it cost likely US$2000. It a Sony laptp

Maybe yea.

Hey, why are you suggesting Geforce Go 5200 video card,and mobility Radeon 9700. because they r released for a quite a time

you should consider this one, it's better and cheaper:

http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/configurator.aspx?mid=126

for the CPU, upgrade to either 3400+ or 3700+ and upgrade the ram to 1 gig (and you can bring it up to a kingston for $25 more)

you also get napster free and it'll give u a free download of half life 2 and counter strike source if you check the box

if you want a dvd burner, upgrade it for $90 more, if you want a bigger hard drive, upgrade that as well

if you have the money, you can get this (2459 after coupon)

http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/configurator.aspx?mid=131

it has the 6800go, which you'll fall in love with (although it's costly and uses intel)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom