Dual videocards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic~Fury

Baseband Member
The mobo I'm getting is the Asus A7N8X Deluxe and I was wondering if its ok to have two videocards, using one at a time for things that are more compatable with the other. I've noticed that recently, games and software are becoming less and less compatable, so would it be smart to have an Radeon in one slot, and a GeForce in the other, switching videoprocessors between software and games more compatable with the other? Is this possible? Or would I consantly be reinstalling "new hardware" etc, or is there options to specify videoprocessor for a partiular program? thanks!

not possible

With modern video cards it is not possible to have 2 running at once as they both require the use of the AGP slot, of which there is only one. So you cannot have a radeon 9800XT running with a GeForceFX 5950. It may be possible to have a PCI video card running with and AGP one but the PCI version would be slower in all respects so it would not be worth it.

thanks!

hmm...well I'm lookin at the atiradeon9800pro, top of the line, but what card would I at least need to run d3 and hl2, ut4k, at full performance? is that card above a bit ahead of its time? i want to be able to perform my games tops. games i'd be playing are the above as well as bf1942, sofII:dh, jk2:jo and academy, etc while I'm willing to, I just don't wanna pay so much

You can not have tow of the same type of cards running at the same time in your computer, the driver files for each would conlfict with each other and they both would not work. same goes if you have integrated video and a video card, in order for the card to work you would have to disable the integrated video.

why not just get a good video card, and then you would be set. I never heard of a viedo card that handled software fine but wasnt good for games or vice versa.

buy a good 128meg card and you will be set.
no need for two.

.... well this is in reply to a comment just made from chesman... just wanna clear things up... this is what he thinks.. " same goes if you have integrated video and a video card, in order for the card to work you would have to disable the integrated video." This is what i know :) , hah im running two video cards right now actually 1 onboard and 1 GeForceFX... dual monitors... and i have my primary monitor to my Geforce card and i have my onboard set to my secondary.[all i really do on that one is use ms word...] but it comes in handy.. so yah just thought ide clear that up for eryone....

Ohh wait... after careful reconsideration... ive noticed that maybe clesman was just talking about him.. with his mobo... not about all computer...sorry about that...

ya, and A_Zip i was not taking dual monitor into consieration with this eapmle that cosmic_fury brought up.

I thought that he wanted to have two vcards hooked up so he could interchange between whihcone he wants to use with a certan app. Did not think he was going to use two monitos but the same monitor.

and about the dual monitors with dual vid cards A_Zip, i thought you can only do that with a kind of card that has two monitor plugs in it or something laong those lines, i have not dealed with dual monitor situation in life before.

How do you manage to dowhat you do wihtout the video drivers conflicting?

Actually it was quite simple... i installed my video card.. installed the drivers and then i plugged my moniters in then u have to go to display properties for ur comp... then just say u have a dual moniter setup.. [when thiers is two video card detected it gives u this option] then just select which one is primary wich one is secondary... its actually quite convienent for when your doing a project with research I just put Internet Explorer on one screen and MS word on the other.. it makes life allot easier

ya man that does sound good, and quite simple to acheive. i think ill try this one of these days. thanks!

You can have 2 vid cards installed, but you have to have one of them disabled all the time. You can disable your AGP card and enable the PCI card, but you can't use them both at the same time.

Back in the day, with the old Voodoo cards, you used to be able to run 2 of them and jump one too the other.
But those days are gone. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom