Can you reload WXP without losing all data?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve396LT1

Solid State Member
When I try to repair, I hit the r key when the disk boots up, and it asks me what section I wan to repair. It is a 1 letter answer. Cant I just reload the whole OS wothout affecting all my other prgrams , data etc?

yes, you can install win xp again without deleteing all your files. i did this once by accident. lol :p umm but it put all my file dna what not in a seperate folder so i had to drag and put them where they go again after i instaled the os But they technicly were not installed i think., i cant remmember, theywere not in the add/remove programs list. It was weird, i think i just reinstalled XP over the old one without formatting.

I believe when you reinstall that way, it WILL delete all files in the /Windowws directory first. However, your "data" files aren't generally there, so no problem. However, there IS still a problem waiting for you in that your "Programs" will no longer be "installed". They may still technically be on the drive, but no longer installed. That's why the above response is correct saying they are no longer accessible from the "add/remove programs" options.

whenever you reinstall an OS it will usually be clean, nothing in the "installed programs" list, only Windows's registry files and default 'Windows-crappy-drivers'
you will have to reinstall all the programs, but not much will change appart from having a 'cleaned out' operating system.
if you just install Windows to a different directory (like C:\Win instead of C:\Windows) it won't change any files even from the previous OS, but it would mean you take up more space with the prev OS still on the Hard Drive

Is FFR,, like Full Format Reinstall,, BTW??

all these fancy shorties,, HDD,FDD,USDV2, DVD, MPV APV, USDA, JFK, LMNOP,

I need more sesame street for tech dudes,,

:)

You can always do an upgrade. that'll save your current data and programs, but that's not the real stable way to go. The best way to clean up any issues is to format and re-install. Just back up your data. And if you have many large files that you can't back up, then take whatever freespace you have, get partition magic 8 (I think that's the newest one) and do a partition on the fly. Store all of your needed data there and format the original drive.

I just reinstalled XP without losing anything. All my programs were still there and working just fine. Did not lose any shortcuts or files. I just put the cd in and reinstalled it because I was having trouble with disk check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom