ntldr error

Status
Not open for further replies.
well i have a cd that came with my new laptop thats called "operating system cd" that has windows xp with sp2 on it, i tried it on my desktop (one with the error) and the same thing that happens with the upgrade cd i have happens, when i have to press f8 to continue pressing f8 doesnt do anything

don't reinstall, it can be fixed

put in the XP CD on boot, go to recovery and type del C:\boot.ini
then type edit.com (which is a DOS text editor) and make a new boot.ini with this in it:
[boot loader]
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition/Professional" /fastdetect

i think the reason why it wont format (using the recovery disks) is cuz its trying to recover to [C:] which has almost no space cuz i resized [D:] is there a way to make it so it uses [D:] instead of [C:] or to re-size [C:] and delete [D:]

could, replacing the hard drive and installing windows on it make a different or would the same thing happen? i think im just gonna get a new hard drive since i wanna install some more memory too, anyone know whats the most memory i can have on an old computer that only had 63mb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom