Bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.

24giovanni

Banned
Does the length of the connection from the phone jack to your computer affect the upload and download speed of a computer? Mine is currently 20 feet. Any response is appreciated.

No it does not, and I'm assuming your on dial-up. Your connect speed will be the same no matter how much cord you have. When distance attenuation really becomes a problem is in CAT5 cable over 100 ft.

are you on dial-up?

when i had dial-up i had a long cord that went from the far end of one room to the far end of another room and the speed was similar to the computer on a very short cord

at most, you'll increase what, 0.5kb?

I think it does sometimes... I have a 100 foot cable and my connection dies more often than when my computer is sitting by the phone jack...

Ohhh...DSL..

What you should do is have the modem close to the phone jack, then run CAT5 cable from the modem to your PC, since you can have up to 100 feet and not have any attenuation problems.

beedubaya said:
Ohhh...DSL..

What you should do is have the modem close to the phone jack, then run CAT5 cable from the modem to your PC, since you can have up to 100 feet and not have any attenuation problems.

Not everyone does that. DSL is starting to use 1 big filter where your POTS come's in.

Much more effective than a filter on every phone :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom