More Video Card help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasrix

In Runtime
Well since ive got the new card ive been trying to learn a few new things. Such as, "8x agp"..? that means?(is that in corrilation with "8-pipeline"?) also, i know that there is, 64, 128, and 256mb cards. I know a little about this stat on them but i was wondering if i could get an indepth explaination about what so good about having a higher Mb or Lower mb, what they are each best used for? or anything like that? and the last thing is that"128 bit"? im guessing it has to do with the Mb of the card as well....

any help will be appreciated.

The 'MB' in for example a "128mb graphics card" is refering to the the onboard VRAM (video RAM). It's used for storing texture data and whatnot in 3D applications. The more VRAM you have, the larger the amount of 3D data it can store, resulting in better image quaity and higher performance*. It's generally much faster than your system memory; In perspective the average PC system RAM runs at effectively, say, 333-400MHz. VRAM runs at (effectively) 1000MHz and above on many modern GFX cards.

*Although the amount of memory a card has certainly isn't the be-all and end-all of your choice. Also, the only game that currently utilises more than 256mb is Doom 3 (on Ultra quality settings). And then most high-end cards with 256mb can handle this pretty well.

AGP stands for Accelerated Graphics Port. It's a PCI slot on your motherboard dedicated for graphics adapters (brown in colour). AGP 8x is pretty much the current standard, although a new slot type called PCI Express (PCI-E) is fast becoming more and more popular and will no doubt be the standard in 12 months time. Many PCI-E Mobos feature 2 graphics slots, for the use of 2 nVidia-based cards linked together by SLI (forget what it stands for). This isn't the first time PC users have got to use two graphics cards, a company called 3Dfx (who have since been bought out by nVidia) utilised SLI years back, but that's another story. ATI are planning to release SLI cards soon.

512mb cards are due out shortly; 2 of these beasts on SLI will give you a whopping 1gb of VRAM (although this comes at a impractical price, but I can't wait for the benchmarks :) ). For more info go here: http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47834

I hope I've helped a bit :beard:

He pretty much sums it up

8 pipelines just is a count of how many pipes can deliver stuff to the GPU. The more the better.

8X agp is just what kind of slot it uses, their's 8X AGP, 4X AGP, 2x AGP and PCI-E X16. Their's no peformance difference between AGP and PCI -E except for SLI'ED cards.

Bitrates like 128bits mean how wide a data path is. A 128bit 9800Pro will have half the memroy speed of a 256abit 9800pro.

And about memory size, a 128card can easily outpeform a 256. In low end cards memory is just marketing. A 128meg 9800 Pro outpeforms a 256meg 9800 pro.

The only card you should worry about not having enough memory is the 128meg Asus 6800's

Yeah, the memory you find on video cards in VRAM, it's basically faster than your system RAM and keeps your video card from hogging it. It's used to store texture and other graphical data that you'll use during a game.

Now, obviously the more memory you have the less often the video card has to leech system RAM, but there aren't a lot of games that really need 256MB. In addition, if your GPU core and VRAM speeds are low, your card won't be able to use the 256MB fast enough to notice any difference at all. Now, 256MB on a 6800GT or x800XT is realistic because they have the fast clock speeds to access the memory, but say a 6600, it's lower clock speeds cannot be compensated by the larger memory.

AGP 2x/4x/8x refers to the bandwidth, if your board and card support 8x (which they should hopefully), you'll want that setting.

nice responses guys, thanx a mill :p ... any ideas why the 6600gt seems to out perform the 6800?

Lasrix said:
nice responses guys, thanx a mill :p ... any ideas why the 6600gt seems to out perform the 6800?

... You must be thinking of two 6600 GT's on SLI vs one 6800 GT on AGP 8x. In benchmarks, this is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom