Need a cheap laptop for word processing and internet surfing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heresy

Baseband Member
I will be needing a laptop relatively soon because I will be making weekly trips between Phoenix and Tucson. My main desktop PC handles the bulk of everything I need, but there is no way to do papers or surf the internet when I am out of town unless I want to go to a library. I need a cheap laptop that will handle word processing and internet surfing mostly, but would also like the ability to play some video games (mostly older games like RA2 and other strategy games). Also, I need Windows XP Home or Pro, a wifi card, at least a 1GHz processor, and at 15 or so inch screen. A long battery life is a plus, but it will be spending half its time plugged in.

I am putting my budget at $650 at the most with buying used being an option. I prefer a business machine and need reliability. I don't plan to be dropping it, but it needs to be built to last. I am looking heavily into the Intel M chip processors offered on some of the newer model IBMs and Acers. How much of a benefit is this new chip on performance and battery life? Also, I never heard of Acer until I started looking for laptops, but they have been getting some good reviews. How do they stack up to other companies? Are there any other good companies that fill my requirements?

Acer stack up good I was looking at them instead of my Averatec laptop. However Averatec is at the price, but their a little smaller for most of their models.

Acer and Toshiba is what I would look at in your range.

IBM laptops are crap IMO, overheating harddrives and the such.

Did you check RetroBox? The most expensive one they have right now is $515 for Dell with a P3 1.3GHz, 512MB, 20GB HD, and CD drive. No OS, though.

EDIT: They also have some P3M's.

Trotter said:
Did you check RetroBox? The most expensive one they have right now is $515 for Dell with a P3 1.3GHz, 512MB, 20GB HD, and CD drive. No OS, though.

EDIT: They also have some P3M's.

I looked. Add an OS and wifi card then it isn't looking like so good of a deal. The warrenty period is rather short also.

Trotter said:
You may want to look at www.techforless.com. They carry a lot of refurb units.

Saw them but have also been looking at the prices on Tigerdirect which is why I am heavily looking into the IBM Thinkpads. For $500-$600, they look decent for for my needs. There is also a 2 month warrenty. The only thing I am not sure about is they only have 128mb of ram on them, they need a wifi card, and I have heard great reviews and scathing reviews about them.

I personally would find something else. At least something that has 256MB.

Trotter said:
I personally would find something else. At least something that has 256MB.

A 512mb stick can be purchased for roughly $100. I am thinking eBay might just be about it unless I want to go over my $650 budget...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom