Disk imaging using XP backup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chankama

Fully Optimized
Hey guys. What are the problems associated with [creating an image of a partition/restoring it later] with just Windows XP backup utility (shipped with the CD). As in if my HD crashes completely, couldn't I install a new blank hard drive and use the backed up archive (stored on my external HD using XP backup) to restore the crashed drive? (without reinstalling the OS/apps from individual CDs).

Essentially, why would I spend $$ to buy Norton Ghost or Acronis products... Thx.

Yeah man. But, I don't really want to shell out $50 bucks. I just wanted to know if this is possible with Windows XP backup - without having to corrupt my hard drive and checking if it works.. b/c if it doesn't, then that's no good!!.. Obviously, if money wasn't an issue, I'd just go out and buy Norton Ghost. Thx.

The windows backup utility is not like ghost from my experience with it. Ghost is a vastly superior tool for image creation and restoration.

When I restored a windows XP machine using an ASR disk I created for it and the image I made of it was able to boot to the OS, but many of the programs got jacked up and had to be reinstalled. There was just small problems popping up left and right and with ghost I have NEVER encountered a problem making an exact clone of the drive and restoring that image.

You could get it working though, but I'd rather dish out the money and get it done right within 15 minutes then farting around for hours with the windows backup program. I say hours cause if you backup the entire drive it will take at least 2 hours to backup and create the image if you have a hefty amount of data and programs.

This is just my opinion you can love it or hate it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom